Still a terrain question...

Started by
10 comments, last by Amadrias 22 years, 4 months ago
Chris, I have been playing with the high level engine and could easily get what I wanted except one thing. I''m building a world made of islands and when using the high level engine, I only have two choices : 1/ use wrapping terrain (which annoys me because the islands should be quite far from each other. 2/ bot use wrapping terrain but it means that if I leave the terrain zone, I get at its opposed location. I would like to be able to use the high level engine that gives me much of the features I''m looking for (with a brand cool editor by the way), and still be able to have infinite water around it. I search for a thread in this forum about it and it seems that it was one of the answers you have been thinking about to avoid the large scale terrain asked by a lot of your clients. I don''t know if you are thinking on implementing it anyhow, but It seemed that you had a quite good idea on how to do it on that post. If you won''t be implementing this feature in high level engine, could you please give me some tips so I can maybe add it by myself ? Thanks Amadrias
Advertisement
Chris had plans for clamping. I dunno if he canned the idea.

-Rich
What exactly is clamping?

thx,

Tony
not sure what campling is but I think that it means that it means creating repeating something around terrain.

In my personal example, it would mean to render water without ending.

Clamping is where whatever tile is at the edge of the terrain gets repeated forever.

-Rich
Open the level properties and check the 'disable world wrapping' option. Save the level then use file/reload.

Now for water you can make a flat plane object with the texture tiled many times and place it at the center of the terrain. I wouldn't use the built in water objects since the texture doesn't move around with you.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)

Edited by - ChrisE on December 12, 2001 1:57:10 PM
Thanks for the reply Chris.

Now, this would solve the visibility problem but as I mentionned in the first post of this thread, I want to be able to zoom out quite far away (until the clipping allows it) and if I get the camera out the borders of terrain, I will get in the other side of terrain.

How could I force it and still have the terrain rendered ?

Amadrias
With wrapping turned off the camera must never go outside the terrain boundaries or it won''t behave properly.

The only solution is to make a decent amount of underwater area around the outside of your actual world. You will also need a large visibility radius.

If you want to have the entire world visible in a single frame why not just make a mesh? The terrain engine was designed for showing a portion of a much larger world and is more complex than you need in some cases.
Iam glad I read this board. I am working on a engine very similiar to the one you stated. My plan is to use PR with some my procedural techniques if that is possible. A IFS engine that runs on PR to generate a very large terrain area with the min amount data overhead. PR handles the details or prettiness of the world rendering only whats immediate visible. The only other company that lay claim to a IFS engine was innerloop. But with PR driving my engine I hope to achieve that on my own. Your PR is great Chris!!!
That''s interesting, I recently read an article in an old edge magazine(mid 1997) about interloop developing this brand new technology(IFS)that precalculates large amounts of data, and it all fits on a single floppy. I would have thought everyone was using their algorithms by now, unless they haven''t publicly released them...
*********-.o-**********

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement