3D Engines Books

Started by
4 comments, last by Nacho 22 years, 4 months ago
Hi! I have bought both PrimaTech book on direct3D yesterday and skimming through their pages I´ve seen that none of them explain how to make a complete 3D Engine. I´ve been doing some research on Amazon some months ago and I´ve found that Eberly´s book (A practical approach to Real Time computer graphics, or something like that) is quite interesting. Can you recommend me another books that discuss both theory and some implementation of a 3D engine if possible?? My idea is to read it when I finish with the Direct3D books. The input, sound and music are not necessary since I´ve found in Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus enough material to cover this areas. Thanks a lot!!
Advertisement
- Computer Graphics Principles & Practice.
- Realtime Rendering.
- Advanced Animation and Rendering Techniques.

to name 3 good books.

You''ll go a lot further if you separate the theory and maths of computer graphics from specific APIs (D3D, OpenGL) and platforms (Windows, Linux). Learn both in parallel, but books on APIs tend not to teach very much on the theory or HOW/WHY certain things work.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

3D Game Engine Design, by Eberly.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
python_regious, I´m still in High School, is the math of the book really tough as I have read in some reviews?
Oh, the math is killer, as some people have said before, is written by a person with a Ph.D for other people with a Ph.D

The math is hard, but you can usually get the jyst of whats going on, and I'm not that math inclined ( I'm doing A level maths and further maths - I have no idea how that translates onto foreign systems ). The notation I find is more difficult than anything else. All in all, it's good book if you want to work at it, you can't simply "skim" through it and expect to understand what's in there, you will probably have to read bits many times over before they finally click. It'll stay on my shelf for a long time that's for sure

Edited by - python_regious on December 12, 2001 4:43:31 PM
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Thanks guys! S1CA, I´ve been looking the books you recommended me at Amazon and they seem really interesting. Realtime Rendering looks great! I´ll keep them in mind for the near future! And python_regious, thanks for the advice. I think I´ll tackle Direct3D first.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement