• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steg

World map ?

This topic is 6060 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, If I was defining a world for my game, one such as were the user can walk around, the world just consists of objects such as cubes, pyramids, I was thinking would the following suffice: [cube] objId=1 [pyramid] objId=2 Now some small classes (I''ve not listed the full functionality here for clarity sake) : // simple vertex structure typedef struct vertex { float x,y,z; }_CustomVertex, _*pCustomVertex; // World space offsets for object class CWorldSpaceObject { public: CWorldSpaceObject(int xPos, int yPos, int zPos) { m_Xpos = xPos; m_yPos = yPos; m_zPos = zPos; } int m_Xpos; int m_Ypos; int m_Zpos; } class CObject : public CWorldSpaceObject { private: char* m_szObjName; _CustomVertex m_objCoords; public: void setObjName(char* name); void setObjXYZ(float x, float y, float z) _*pCustomVertex getObjCoords() { return &m_objCoords; } } // Simple constructor for generic object CObject::CObject(float xPos, float yPos, float zPos, int wXPos, wYPos, wZPos) : CWorldSpaceObject(wXPos, wYPos, wZPos), m_objCoords.x(xPos), m_objCoord.y(yPos), m_objCoords.z(zPos) { } The above identifies the objects in the game and the object structure of one, now below shows what a map for the world would be.... 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 0,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,C,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 1,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2,0,0,1,0,0 The ''C'' in the map would be the camera - how would I display this world ? Given that each object in the world has a vertex structure and a given set of world x,y,z coordinates which can be seen from the class''s above how do I render them, what defines how big this world is ? I hope someone knows what I''m on about here ? Any help is MUCH appreciated. Kindest Regards, sTeVe PS - I know it possibly is to do with object space to world space, then world space to view space transformations, but I still don''t know how to define the size of the world and render parts of it ?

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!