World map ?

Started by
1 comment, last by steg 22 years, 4 months ago
Hi, If I was defining a world for my game, one such as were the user can walk around, the world just consists of objects such as cubes, pyramids, I was thinking would the following suffice: [cube] objId=1 [pyramid] objId=2 Now some small classes (I''ve not listed the full functionality here for clarity sake) : // simple vertex structure typedef struct vertex { float x,y,z; }_CustomVertex, _*pCustomVertex; // World space offsets for object class CWorldSpaceObject { public: CWorldSpaceObject(int xPos, int yPos, int zPos) { m_Xpos = xPos; m_yPos = yPos; m_zPos = zPos; } int m_Xpos; int m_Ypos; int m_Zpos; } class CObject : public CWorldSpaceObject { private: char* m_szObjName; _CustomVertex m_objCoords; public: void setObjName(char* name); void setObjXYZ(float x, float y, float z) _*pCustomVertex getObjCoords() { return &m_objCoords; } } // Simple constructor for generic object CObject::CObject(float xPos, float yPos, float zPos, int wXPos, wYPos, wZPos) : CWorldSpaceObject(wXPos, wYPos, wZPos), m_objCoords.x(xPos), m_objCoord.y(yPos), m_objCoords.z(zPos) { } The above identifies the objects in the game and the object structure of one, now below shows what a map for the world would be.... 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 0,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,C,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 1,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2,0,0,1,0,0 The ''C'' in the map would be the camera - how would I display this world ? Given that each object in the world has a vertex structure and a given set of world x,y,z coordinates which can be seen from the class''s above how do I render them, what defines how big this world is ? I hope someone knows what I''m on about here ? Any help is MUCH appreciated. Kindest Regards, sTeVe PS - I know it possibly is to do with object space to world space, then world space to view space transformations, but I still don''t know how to define the size of the world and render parts of it ?

If it isn't working, take a bath, have a think and try again...

Advertisement
http://www.chronocross.de/directx8.htm

Edited by - Jonus on December 12, 2001 2:11:26 AM
Thanks a lot Jonus, I''ll take a look.

If it isn't working, take a bath, have a think and try again...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement