Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KwamiMatrix

Objective C and Objective C++

KwamiMatrix    122
Quick question really. The only operating system that I know of that allows you to develope in these two languages is MacOS X, via the Cocoa framework. First of all, is there any other operating system that uses these two languages? Secondly, does anyone have experience developing software in either Objective C or C++? What are some basic differences in the "Objective" languages, verses just C and C++? Also, I know C++, but is it still worth my time to learn C, just so I know a language that really isn''t object oriented? Edem Attiogbe

stimarco    1071

Last question first: Yes. Learn C. There''s no such concept as knowing too many programming languages. The more languages you understand, the more complete your programming toolbox as you can pick the best language for the job. (Even Visual Basic has its place, for instance.)

MacOS X is just BSD Unix with knobs on, so the Objective C language ought to be available for other *NIX platforms like Linux. In fact, the GCC website explicitly states:

"Currently GCC contains front ends for C, C++, Objective C, Chill, Fortran, and Java as well as libraries for these languages (libstdc++, libgcj,...). The next major release, GCC 3.1, will also include an Ada front end."

Enjoy.

Silvanis    363
As far as I know, there is no Objective C++, since that would be kinda against the point. Objective C is supposed to be C with object-oriented features...which, without having looked at it, sounds a lot like C++...

Just me .02 cents

Oluseyi    2103
GNOME components are generally written in ObjC.

ObjC came from the NeXT, so it was expected that it would come to OS X seeing as the same individual (Jobs) is responsible for both of them...

KwamiMatrix    122
So Objective C origionally came from Steve Jobs NEXT operating and GNOME? system. I know that MacOS X is based on NEXT OS technology( and FreeBSD). Anyway, with regards to Objective C++. I thought it was kind of redundant also to have such a language since "Objective" makes C object oriented( basically C++), but I believe it is indeed a new language in developement by Apple for use with the Cocoa MacOS X framework. Go to developer.apple.com. There should be some information there. Stimarco, I will probably learn C as well. First of all, C is an incredibly important language, and secondly, I feel that I need to know a language that is not object oriented. I have been very interested in the Objective C language, and MacOS X Cocoa developement. I am really happy with what apple has been engineering. I hated MacOS Classic. It was what has kept me away from the Mac Platform since kindergarden. MacOS X is Unix based and exciting. Later on (in the future), I will start developing for MacOS X when I get a PowerMac G5. Thanks all.