which book to buy?

Started by
12 comments, last by glGreenhorn 22 years, 4 months ago
hey, it''s Christmas (yay!) and everybody is buying stuff. so i thought i''d finally get around to buying myself an OpenGL book. however, i''m not at all familiar with which is the best one and where to get it for the cheapest possible price. amazon.com is offering OpenGL Programming for (i think it was) around sixty dollars whereas i remember having seen it being sold for the price of only about $45. then again, is it better than the Red Book or the Blue Book or the Black Book (not sure, but i think it does exist)? any opinions/suggestions etc would be well appreciated. if you think the best choice for me would be NeHe''s CD, i''m sorry, i''m looking for a good ol'' fashioned book here i''d have to say money is somewhat of an obstacle. it would be best to keep the price below $50 because shipping and handling will take their own share and i''m not exactly what you might call rich () thanks and keep cool!
Advertisement
OpenGL Game Programming is the best book in the world
Here''s a link :

The blue book :

http://www.eecs.tulane.edu/www/graphics/doc/OpenGL-Man-Pages/opengl_index_spec.html

========================
Leyder Dylan
http://ibelgique.ifrance.com/Slug-Production/
========================Leyder Dylan (dylan.leyder@slug-production.be.tf http://users.skynet.be/fa550206/Slug-Production/Index.htm/
anyone else suggest OpenGL Programming besides anon? i''d really really really appreciate feedback on this...

thx
The OpenGL programming book is great (and big it's over 700 pages long ). It starts at creating a window and takes you all the way to writing game it's definately worth the money.

I think both the blue book and the red book are available to read online, but i've never heard of the black book.

I hope that helps

Lukerd

"To err is human, to really mess up requires a computer"

Edited by - Lukerd on December 13, 2001 4:29:32 AM
"To err is human, to really mess up requires a computer"
Definately OpenGL game programming, no doubt about it!!!
i also bought the opengl game programming book. i think it''s a good book but a little expensive considering what i''ve already learned from nehe''s tutorials

But it''s good to have a reference on paper. I''m glad i bought the book
i would have to say red book...but i''ve never read what everyone else is suggesting
red book mainly teach about just about OpenGL stuff other the other hand, the OpenGL Game Programming teach you both OpenGL and game programming, but not that depth in OpenGL stuff. so is up to you to stay focus on OpenGL or both OGL and game programming, for me i rather choose OGL game programming.
:)
i think the OpenGL Game programming book is the best by far.

i dont know about the blue and red books, but i really really didnt like the OpenGL superbible... All it does is teach you how to use GLUT, oh boy, i paid $40 to learn how to use a stupid developers tool that shouldnt be used in final versions of programs grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement