DirectX 8 Question

Started by
2 comments, last by kitawolf 22 years, 4 months ago
I''m creating a game using DirectX 8 and I am trying to get it to run on different machines. It will run on my PIII machine but when I try it on a PII or a Celeron machine the program crashes during initialization. I''ve tracked the problem down to the LPDIRECT3D8->CreateDevice() call. Like I said before it will work on one machine but not others. If anyone has any ideas as to why or how to fix the problem please let me know. kitawolf
Advertisement
What parameters are you passing to the CreateDevice() function? Are you sure the display adapter can handle what you''re requesting?

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
- What return code are you getting from CreateDevice() ?

- What does the debug output say (with the debug runtimes installed) ?

It''s most likely that the graphics card in the machine this fails on doesn''t support something you''re asking for when you create the device. Examples are: asking for hardware vertex processing when the graphics card doesn''t have hardware T&L, asking for a frame buffer or Z buffer format which won''t work, asking for a sample or present mode which won''t work on that particular hardware.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Thank You for the help guys! Your advice led me down the right path so now I can at least get the program to stop crashing on start-up. Thanks!

kitawolf

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement