Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zealot

I need some help

Zealot    127
Ok, I need to know a few things: 1.) I am making a game, and the characters can fly, I know that you can keep characters that walk in the level by unpassable terrain and such, but if this is outside, how do I convincably contain a flying character within the level. 2.) How do you set a clear color in OpenGL? I think I read something about it in a tutorial, something about an Alpha channel. 3.) Is there any way to optimize the height map tutorial so that it doesn''t use soooooo many verticies? I figured up that a 2048 X 2048 map uses 16,384 verticies! 4.) Does OpenGL have a built in water method? I think this is a rather dumb question. 5.) Does anyone know of a good physics tutorial for 3D? I found I need some help here, but I amazingly overcame the collision detection with an incredibly easy to implement method. Thanks guys, and I''ll probably be back here soon with some more questions. En taro Adun! Doom to all who threaten the homeworld! *Protoss Zealot - Starcraft*

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Zealot
Ok, I need to know a few things:

1.) I am making a game, and the characters can fly, I know that you can keep characters that walk in the level by unpassable terrain and such, but if this is outside, how do I convincably contain a flying character within the level.

You can do what Ace Combat does with their planes. When the player goes outside of a predetermined area, they make you change direction/loop back/go-the-in-the-opposite direction automatically.

quote:

2.) How do you set a clear color in OpenGL? I think I read something about it in a tutorial, something about an Alpha channel.

It is called Alpha Blending. There are few ways of doing this, one is to set glColor4f with the last parameter set between 0.0 to 1.0. 0.0 being transparent, and 1.1 being opaque. Or you can use an image file that stores an Alpha channel like targa (.TGA) files. You can learn more through NeHe''s tutorial.

quote:

4.) Does OpenGL have a built in water method? I think this is a rather dumb question.

I don''t think OpenGL has a built in water method. There are varies ways of making water effects though. You can go simple with just a large 2D place with a really nice water texture. To animate the water, you can either animate the texture using texture coordinates. Or you can do cool rippling effects either using sine/cosine functions or area sampling. Note that rippling effects are CPU intensive and requires a lot of computing.

quote:

5.) Does anyone know of a good physics tutorial for 3D? I found I need some help here, but I amazingly overcame the collision detection with an incredibly easy to implement method.

What kind of physics? That''s really broad, physics cover optics, rigid bodies, kinetics, aerodynamics, etc which all can be used for game development.

Zealot    127
Thanks for the reply, the kind of physics I am talking about is the typical type you might find in a 3rd person game, with like flying, but no swimming or such.

En taro Adun!
Doom to all who threaten the homeworld!
*Protoss Zealot - Starcraft*