Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

low FPS on win98SEC

This topic is 5846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi , im developing a directx8 application on windowed mode rendering. the thing is that when i run it on win2000 its running very fast , like i want , but , when i run it on win98sec , it drops down to something like 2 FPS , does anyone ever experienced something like that? (remember im rendering on windowed mode)

Well, I''m writing a DX8 application running in windowed mode and I''m getting between 130 - 230 FPS (depending on how complex the scene is), on Win98SE. I''m using a PIII 500 with 128MB RAM and a ATI Radeon 64MB DDR. With frame rates as low as that, I can only conclude that there must be something wrong with your code. Thats just a guess, mind....so don''t be offended

RM.

Tron Software

-=Kicking Butt and Writing Code=-

2 FPS is definitely REFERENCE DEVICE, if the SDK is installed on your Win98SE.
Debug and try to figure out, if the device switches to the reference/hel device. Might be a driver issue...

A little unrelated i know, but...
I did a program on QBasic a couple of years ago on a 286 while at collage. I brought it home to my P266 and it ran about a hundred times slower!
Never did find out why.

Yeah, I had that problem when I got all dewy-eyed for my old QB programs. I think its something to do with QB not having direct access to the hardware and having to wait until Windows allows it access. Thats just a wild stab in the dark, though.

RM.

Tron Software

-=Kicking Butt and Writing Code=-