Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vko

RTS Graphic Engine in 3D

Vko    122
Hello, I''m researching informations about RTS 3D engine. The lastest games that arrived are in 3D (Earth 2100). I have a basic 3D engine in OpenGL (hight count polygons renderer, shaders, cameras ...), and I want to involve it for an RTS 3D engine. I don''t want to begin something if it''s not the right way. So if you have something about 3D tiles and RTS 3D engine, post it Vko

Spikeles    122
You''re in luck.

I''m doing one too. I''ve already got the basic level editor set up for modifying the tiles and adding textures to them, saving, loading, UInterface windows,...etc..

It''s in OpenGL too..

The game that i''m using as a reference is Warzone 2100.

We should talk! I would love someone else''s opinion of my work.

Possibility    122
I am currently working on the same thing, along the lines of Empire Earth and Age of Mythology. I have got the tile-based terrain engine near completion and have animaged 3D units able to walk around on it. My maps are generated from a grayscale bitmap, so you can change the hightmap.bmp and the you get a different map, but the types of tiles are just random.

Possibility

Spikeles    122
Heightmap eh? Well... i considered it.. but i wanted to be able to modify the terrain myself. I''m starting on 3D stuff being but in... an i''ve almost complete my CUIWindow Class... basically it allows you to use windows like in Windows 98, etc... almost the same way.

Anyway.. back to the tile engine... i''ve also now got configurable map sizes that alow you to change the size of the map without re-compiling( let me tell you that wasn''t very fun). I''m also considering multi-texturing.... I have an implementation of A* that allows basic waypoints consisting of tiles to be formed for the pathfinding. the units can then use each tile as a waypoint to move around....

hmmm.. what does everyone think of Open Source?

Possibility    122
Yah, the height map is just a gray scale bitmap that sets the heights of the map. You can change the bitmap without recompiling so you get a different map, and you can change the size of the bitmap to get correspondingly different sized maps. I''ll have some screen shots up on my website soon. It also has multitexturing and I am currently adding vertex shaders. Its a pretty good engine.

Possibiltiy