Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Commercial OpenGL Games

This topic is 5844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Return to castle wolfenstein

Only one that I can think of because I havent looked at what else is just released

-----------------------
0wn 0wn 0wn your goat
gently down the pw33n

Hummm...interesting... would you just guess what games?? or like do they tell you??

If i could guess, kinda old but still, the whole theif series, and the zelda 64 games.

But i am probly wrong...

I think its just like guessing which games...

NOw i konw like starcraft and ra2 and stuff is Dx but i wonder how one of those games in openGL would look...

I will have to try that some day

Quake 3, Tribes 2, half life, baldurs gate (2), Alice, Anachronox, Daikatana, Heretic 2/Hexen 2, MDK2, Red Faction, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Neverwinter Nights (which is coming soon), Diablo II, Decent 3...must I go on?

quote:
Original post by OpenglLearner
Aren''t Quake series opengl based. Of course there are other games that are opengl based but use directx as a second option as well such as unreal I and unreal tournament

This is incorrect. Unreal and UT use Direct X and have options for using OGL (though it''s not officially supported).

Yes the quake series is Open Gl based.

Sorry, couldn''t resist the correction.

quote:
Original post by dachande
This is incorrect. Unreal and UT use Direct X and have options for using OGL (though it''s not officially supported).

Actually you''re wrong, those are API independant. They provide plugin renderers for different APIs such as DirectX, Glide, an OpenGL.

Sorry, couldnt resist the correction

-----------------------
0wn 0wn 0wn your goat
gently down the pw33n

Actually, I think you're wrong.

Unreal and Unreal Tournament were originally written with rendering in software and Glide. They were then ported to support DirectX, experimentally to support OpenGL, and experimentally to support S3Metal (whatever that is).

(All this comes from my housemate who is the definitive source of Unreal and UT knowledge!)

Sorry, couldn't resist the correction.

EDIT: oops, just noticed a spelling mistake!

Engima
------
...for a drink with everyone else, I...

Edited by - Enigma on December 13, 2001 2:48:54 PM

I think you''re -ALL- WRONG!!! MUAHAHAHAAAAARGH!!!

*g*

Can I just ask tho - y did u want to know what games have come out which use OpenGL? I mean - as far as I''m concerned which rendering API you use is just a case of personal preference...

However *g* considering this is an OpenGL forum I''ve got to plug OpenGL somewhere... OPENGL RULES!!! DX8 SUX!!!

Ok nuff said! L8z!

You guys are nuts! =)

Sorry, I CAN resist the correction

Kenneth Wilhelmsen
Try my little 3D Engine project, and mail me the FPS. WEngine
--------------------------
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has
been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This
disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless
brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder

actually, the first release of quake was not an OpenGL app. there was (Dos)Quake, Winquake (NetQuake and WorldQuake), and finally came up GLquake. the quake-engine based games (hexen2, etc) were released with two versions, software and GL versions.

but nowadays, most games require 3d hardware support to run (like SOF2, Q4, Serious Sam, IGI, D3, Max Payne, AVP2, Deus Ex, UT, B&W, Giants, SS2, Thief2, etc).

sadly, most of the newest games are programmed with the DX8 API.
But Id Software (Carmack) work only with OpenGL, so all Id Software''s games are made with the OpenGL API. Coolies

oh and yeah, if someone know where to get some infos about the ''MGS2:Sons of Liberty'' engine, it would be really cool, cuz i would say that the PS2 is great ONLY cuz of that game (and of another game too called Cookie&Cream).

all correction are welcome okee dokee, later.

eber kain, "Quake 3, Tribes 2, half life, baldurs gate (2), Alice, Anachronox, Daikatana, Heretic 2/Hexen 2, MDK2, Red Faction, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Neverwinter Nights (which is coming soon), Diablo II, Decent 3...must I go on?" that sounds familiar, guess someone saw my post!

McDougal...DUCK McDougal

Why post lists?

Any game that is windows specific may or may not be openGL - games that work on Linux and Mac are most likely to be OpenGL.

PLEASE don''t go down the usual route of which is better ... ''OpenGL or Direct3D'' Use whatever you prefer ... and don''t use other peoples preferences!

Just a thought!

quote:
Original post by Enigma
Unreal and Unreal Tournament were originally written with rendering in software and Glide. They were then ported to support DirectX, experimentally to support OpenGL, and experimentally to support S3Metal (whatever that is).

Glide was a plugin renderer that shipped with it, as was PowerVRs native api (anyone remember its name??) and S3Metal.

It IS an api independant engine, as it works with a range of APIs without any issues at all.

Sorry, couldn''t resist the correction.

-----------------------
0wn 0wn 0wn your goat
gently down the pw33n