Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nacho

Big Companies and their API´s

Hi! I was wondering... does big companies like Nintendo work with the same graphical API´s we do? (or in my case, I´m learning). I mean, do they use OpenGL or DirectX or they have a special team of people that designs API´s for internal use?

I can tell you this. I once talked to some guys from EA Canada and they told me they use their own in-house API''s. But the important thing is, know the theory and you can just about use any APIs.

Generally, they use the same APIs or ones that are actually the same but have an additional layer of abstraction.

Just look at some big games titles for PC and see the requirements.... you''ll see DX on their most of the time.

On old nintendo games they had a PPU that you had to directly interface with but now I believe they are using OGL and DX. Not sure tho.

opengl and directx are strictly non console. though dreamcast games using wince can use directx. its very rare that any console would use a pc api (pc as in personal computer which includes macs as well). this is due to memory limitation and more dedicated gaming hardware (exclude xbox which is just a pc in console clothing). most apis for consoles are written for that exact video hardware. so they dont need to check for capabilities of the hardware since its all known already, and will never change after production. (no console has every had a video hardware upgrade, the n64 ram expansion was just that a ram expansion which allowed running higher resolutions since texture data and game data could be off loaded into the ram expansion) so in other words, like digicube said. learn the theory and you will be fine with any api.

Yea that makes sense :-\ since the entire poinit of the APIs is abstraction from the hardware... it wouldn''t make much sense if every computer had the same hardware. Well humph. That''s why I put not sure. I''ve only done PC stuff to date.

quote:
Original post by Mark_C
Yea that makes sense :-\ since the entire poinit of the APIs is abstraction from the hardware... it wouldn''t make much sense if every computer had the same hardware. Well humph. That''s why I put not sure. I''ve only done PC stuff to date.

Acutally, that''s not the point of APIs at all - it''s a nice convenience. The "entire point" is to have a set of tools whose functionality you guarantee and implentation you don''t care about. (okay, that may be splitting hairs a bit...)

As far as consoles go, N64 had a OpenGL-ish tinge to it, what with its display lists and stuff. And XBox''s big appeal is its DirectX-ish stuff.

Most big companies write their own wrappers/APIs to provide multi-product/platform functionality, which kinda sucks for us programmers, as we are often sheltered from the guts of the machine we''re developing for.

-scott