Quest oriented servers...

Started by
4 comments, last by kurifu 22 years, 4 months ago
Something I have been thinking about over the last several days. How does one go about writing a game server where you can dynamically change the NPCs in game, how they act, what they say, and also adding triggers and other events in to form quests. One of the major aspects of MMORPGs is that they are dynamic in storyline, that they change, and can keep changing without too much effort. Though you could just code in enough to last the players, what if you wanted to modify some characters, or add other characters every month or so... technically this would require recompiling the servers. I can think of at least two ways to do this, but I want to know how you guys would go about this. Gamedev''s AI Auto-Reply bot.
Gamedev's AI Auto-Reply bot.
Advertisement
easy...
data files!
anything that can change should not be hard-coded; it should be read in from a database (or whatever) by the server.
you only have to update the data files then (hopefully using the gaem-data-file editor you wrote right after you finished the server), and there is no re-compiling involved.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Use AI. More real AI than game AI.

Making the characters dynamic. Like he said using DAT file to remember anything that affects a characters personality.

When a KEY character is killed you''ll probably want to remember not to have him or her repop like most NPCs.

Ymay want to have a "liked by good" attribute in a players file.. and if they killed a key good player make them very disliked by ''good'' aligned NPCs.
People in the MUD world have been doing this for years. Many muds are more of a mini-OS than a game, and basically execute something very similar to C code. You can change this code online and all the objects in the game that are created from that code change also. Just think of it as a scripting language like UnrealScript or whatever, except that it''s available at run time to certain players.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
How are you creating your server, does it have a static IP?
I am interested in this technology...

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][]

Databases were what I was shooting for... but I still like to ask This I see though will likely be one of the most complex parts of actually writing the server.

And though it is a little off topic here, yes, the server will have a Static IP address. Dyanmic IP addresses, especially with DHCP, can cause many problems with consistent streaming sockets. Not to mention that have to not resolve my own DNS entry will save on processor time, and provide a static place for users to connect to, with no related downtime.

Gamedev''s AI Auto-Reply bot.
Gamedev's AI Auto-Reply bot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement