OpenGL 2.0: Must or Bust?

Started by
0 comments, last by Promit 22 years, 4 months ago
see www.3dlabs.com if you avent heard. They are designing a new OpenGL 2.0. I am trying to collect some opinions as to how it might be. i personally think it will be a must have, and will take the graphics market compeltely. The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
Kinda already been argued a million times =)

OpenGL already has "taken" the graphics market. The only place DirectX competes effectively is on Windows based Video games. Almost every scientific, military, and academic application of graphics is done in OpenGL. Also, the movie FX industry is pushing to get Linux on their render farms. OpenGL will be there with them all the way.

I think the idea of asking "will OpenGL be revitalized?" or "will this make OpenGL a contender again?" are a bit silly. Direct3D is the contender against the reigning OpenGL and doesn''t have the cross-platform or acceptance outside of the Game industry.

I do think OpenGL 2.0 is a good move, I think the API needed a to be updated with all the new advances in the past years.

It''ll just fill out the API and help reduce the need to program for a variety of vendor extensions. All good!

R.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement