Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zeusel

Books!

Zeusel    122
I want to learn game programming but i only know the basics! im interested in the win32 api, opengl and general programming! any suggestions which books would be good, i haerd about some, but want your opinion! thank you

Bezzant    122
quote:
Original post by Zeusel
I want to learn game programming but i only know the basics! im interested in the win32 api, opengl and general programming! any suggestions which books would be good, i haerd about some, but want your opinion! thank you

my advice, forget about games programming for a while and learn the win32 api first. it will save a lot of headache later. basic games are ok, using the console.

im reading "windows 98 programming from the ground up" by herbert schildt, its been a good book so far and an easy read. its a good book, also "opengl game programming" by dave astle and kevin hawkins (gamedev folk) is a really good book, also teaches you some of the win32 api to get started.

have a read of some reviews on amazon. also, gamedevs got a section with book reviews, if im not mistaken, check that out as well. (right here)

try find some books on the api published by "microsoft press" they are generally good books.

alan

Drizzt DoUrden    100
First:

"Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days" Make sure it doesn''t say Visual C++.

"Windows 98 Programming from the Ground Up" even if you aren''t using Windows98, this is said to be an excellent book.

And then, finally:

"OpenGL Game Programming" by Kevin Hawkins and Dave Astle. You also may want to check out nehe.gamedev.net for OpenGL tutorials.

Good luck.

Indy    122
In my opinion Bezz is sort of half right. I don''t think that it''s necessary to learn WIN32 API first. In fact I learnt DX first then went to WIN23API.

My advice to you would be learn the techniques of game programming. Although DOS is basically dead, games programming books on that had everything you need to know about graphic, sound and keyboard programming. However theres no reason why you can''t jump straight to Windows. I used Windows Games Programming for Dummies. Also make sure you understand how DirectX works. The book will cover it to a certain extent. Sooner or later (and mostly it''s sooner) you will need to get your hands dirty with DX. Pick up a GDK, I reccommend CDX (there is Allegro) as it seems to have everything you need to start off with. In fact I use it myself. Personally I can''t see the point of Reinventing the Wheel, so if the technology is available - use it! Sure, the argument will be that using a GDK doesn''t teach you scrolling, sound output, etc...thats true. But by using GDK you''ll start to pickup programming tricks and then one thing leads to another.

Start a small project off, I warn you now - you will not be writing the next Quake beater in the next 6 months so don''t even try. Try a basic 2D shootem-up - you know the old Invaders clone. Doesn''t have to have aliens swooping down in fancy patterns with large play areas. Just the simple left and right action. I bet programming that will give you a headache that you didn''t think was possible.

And make plenty of buddies on the Internet. Fellow programmers are a great source of info and are always willing to help. I have been assisted by many. To show my appreciation I even credited them in my game.

If you wanna ever ask me anything indy2000@yahoo.com is where you can reach me.

Above all Have great fun!!!

Indy

Drizzt DoUrden    100
Before you go into OpenGL, you should probably check out SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) and make some 2D games. It is very simple, and will allow you to grasp the concept of game development by making 2d games.

Good luck, once again.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I know enough Direct X to make games (and I don''t know it that well) and absolutely zero win32 stuff. It is sufficient for making 2d games with dx8 using the mouse and keyboard. I assume the sound stuff will work when I get around to it. I do wish I knew a little windows stuff so I could make my game run in a window for debugging, instead of always being full screen but hey that''s enough for me, for now.

Zeusel    122
No DX! for sound and input i use sdl if theres no other possibility! Has anybody expieriences with openal? i know the: start simple...blablabla! i know sdls 2d graphics an basic opengl, get what i want on the screen but dont know the how-do-it-fast-thing! thanks, i''ll look at the books! are they available in europe?

Bezzant    122
quote:
Original post by Zeusel
i''ll look at the books! are they available in europe?

indeed they are. however, if the town/place you live in has a somewhat crap shopping center (like mine) you might have to order the books, i had to with both "windows programming from the ground up" and "opengl game programming" but got them none-the-less.... or you could order them off the net.

infact, i dont think any off the book shops where i live have any books related to games programming (on the shelfs) whatsoever. damn them. but they can get them

WayfarerX    130
I just got Programming Windows by Charles Petzold and I have to say I've enjoyed it so far.
My only complaint is that the full code listing for each project is prinited in the book , which adds up to a 1500-page monster.

"So crucify the ego, before it's far too late. To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical, and you will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable."
- Tool
------------------------------

Edited by - wayfarerx on December 14, 2001 1:43:42 PM

Possibility    122
If you wnat to start learning games, get Sams Teach Yourself DirectX in 24 hrs. Its an extremely good book for begininers. Its the first book I got and it now a year and half later I am making almost professional quality games. Of course Ihave advanced to other more advanced books, but Sams 24 hr book is the best way to start off.

Possibility