OK, so who uses FreeBSD?

Started by
24 comments, last by Martee 22 years, 4 months ago
Now that this is a Unix forum, I guess this isn''t too offtopic I''m curious as to how many people out there develop under FreeBSD. Anyone?
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Advertisement
Martee, this isn''t in the least bit offtopic

I''ve never had the opportunity to use FreeBSD, but I plan to be doing some significant OS research in the near future as I start messing around with homebrew embedded devices... I''ll be sure to post both my findings and musings here.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
I''ve used it from time to time at a few jobs.

It''s just another BSD based *nix. BSD''s have a reputation for tight programming though and security.

R.
Nope, never tried it. I''d like to give it a shot here pretty soon though when I start messing around with an old Pentium 133 I have. I''d like to make it into a fileserver or something, and I may get BSD on it to try it out.

rm -rf /bin/laden
FreeBSD!!! Probably my favorite of the free unix-like environments. Mainly because of its networking abilities.

Ooops, the AP message above was mine.

Hitchhiker90
"There''s one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay
"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Hi,

Well the installing was a little weird in the beginning but I love freebsd now. Although it doesn''t have the huge support and packages which linux has, on the whole it seens to be a sturdy OS.

Well given a choice of freebsd or linux, I would rather go with freebsd but of course it also depends on the nature of use.

I am glad I can say I use freebsd & linux for development :-)
Hello from my world
I would recommend FreeBSD for network infrastructure, and Linux for applications. Since applications are more likely to require customized configurations and respond to a wider variety of situations (network protocols don''t permit much discrepancy), this works perfectly - even in tandem.

On a related note, where do you all see the various *nixes developing most? I think the desktop computing paradigm, while still very popular and strong, has its days numbered and the unices - particularly Linux - will see an explosion in use as we shift to "invisible computing" (voice recognition, text-to-speech, natural language synthesis, distributed computing, etc).

Opinions?

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
quote:Original post by flame_warrior
Although it doesn''t have the huge support and packages which linux has, on the whole it seens to be a sturdy OS.

That''s the only reason I haven''t given it (any BSD, that is) a try yet. If I ever set up a server box I''ll be able to give one of them a try since it won''t be needed for desktop-like usage.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
I am LEARING FreeBSD.. OpenBSD is prety cool, but FreeBSD''s site has iso''s to download and burn so you don''t have to install from ftp.. can you remember ftp.mirrors3.someplace.net/pub/....? I can''t.

Since *NIX has came a cool open developer''s choice,I''m looking into it.

The "Free" FreeBSD Handbook comes in handy, but it''s over 510 pages of text!

BTW if anyone knows how to build a NAT router.. please help me out =)
I cannot find the kernel options file.

THANKS!

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement