Who writes ISP client software?

Started by
6 comments, last by null_pointer 22 years, 4 months ago
Why is it that ISP client software is extremely poorly written? Why does it crash after a couple of sessions, requiring a reboot? Why does it suddenly forget stored login information? Why doesn''t it try to call different numbers when it fails to login, rather than just when the current number is busy? Why do they block all smtp access instead of just limiting it to a reasonable amount? Why do they have idle timeouts for unlimited access service? Why do I have to reboot after being disconnected in order to successfully login? Why, when I pay for unlimited access, am I required to have an ad bar on my desktop - which I never use - that takes 20 MB of memory and prevents me from playing fullscreen games even though I am not idle, because I am downloading a huge file? Why can''t I get DSL or cable modem service even though I have been on 20 waiting lists for over a year and they still claim that they plan to implement these services in my area "soon"? And lastly, what is the meaning of life? (BTW, can anyone recommend a good dial-up ISP for USA that supports SMTP and has no adware?) - null_pointer
Advertisement
That what you get for not paying for anything...
You get peasant quality software
I do pay.
So if you are paying and geting banner software you should change ISP. Screw that shit man, paying and having to be bombarded with adds!!!!!
I used to work for a local ISP, so I would suggest trying to find a small local ISP in your area. They usually run for about $20 for a dial up account, have better tech support and service. Mainly because the equipment is right in front of them. Most of them do not use any front end software, just the DUN that ships with Windows.

If your doing a lot of travelling then this wouldn''t be such a hot idea. Look into UUnet, I don''t think they have client software but I could be wrong. Probably better service than what you would find out of AOL or some others.

Hitchhiker90
"There''s one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay
"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
That always gets me about cable/satellite TV too...pay a fortune each month to watch whatever trash they''re showing, AND have 2/3 of each timeslot consisting of advertisements.

But to be at least a little helpful, I also suggest you switch ISP''s. There are tons of nationwide ISP''s with lots of dialup numbers, like ATT Worldnet, Earthlink, etc, not to mention the smaller local ones. I guarantee there is a better one in your area.

Anthracks
Thanks, Hitchhiker90! I did not know that such ISPs still existed. I will try your suggestion! Few things are worse than messing with my Internet connection.

- null_pointer
Best of luck to ya!

Hitchhiker90
"There''s one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay
"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement