Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zealot

I need to know some stuff on DX and GL

Zealot    127
I read that Open GL can''t display more that 64 seperate entities, is this true? Does Direct X support only 64 objects? Also, can you use Direct3D and OpenGL in the same app at the same time? Thank you, and, umm, how do games show the difference between night and day, I figured that it wasn''t done with lights, I think I read something about brightness in a NeHe tutorial. Thank you. En taro Adun! Doom to all who threaten the homeworld! *Protoss Zealot - Starcraft*

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
the OpenGL specification states the implementation must support AT LEAST 8 lights (if that is what you mean by entities), but there may be more in a given implementation.

i suggest you try using "glide" since it only run on 3Dfx voodoo cards and 3Dfx is out of business.

Antoxa    122
NOBODY USES HARDWARE LIGHTING IN A REAL GAME !!!
EVEN CARMACK DOES NOT

DAY & NIGHT?
GO SEE GTA2

Edited by - Antoxa on December 13, 2001 10:00:51 PM

Zealot    127
No, no, I read in a NeHe tutorial that OpenGL could only draw up to 64 "objects". I was guessing that it meant like up to 64 sets of glBegin(whatever); or somthing. Oh well, fine, thanks.

En taro Adun!
Doom to all who threaten the homeworld!
*Protoss Zealot - Starcraft*

Null and Void    1088
quote:
Original post by Zealot
No, no, I read in a NeHe tutorial that OpenGL could only draw up to 64 "objects". I was guessing that it meant like up to 64 sets of glBegin(whatever); or somthing. Oh well, fine, thanks.

Nope, that''s not true . There are no blatant limits on what OpenGL can draw, but there may be a limit in the tutorial''s code or something (I don''t remember any of the tutorials, it''s been a long time since I read them, heh).

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

Pactuul    122
"I suggest you try using "glide" since it only run on 3Dfx voodoo cards and 3Dfx is out of business. " <---What the hell does that mean? I hope it was being sacartistic

Anyways, you can''t have opengl and directx running together. If you open a directx window you can''t use opengl functions to render to it and vice versa. You of course can write functions that "blackbox" the API''s so that the game doesn''t know whether it''s using directx or opengl commands. This would allow the game user or the programmer to run the game in a specific api at a time.

Pactuul