AIX

Started by
9 comments, last by griffenjam 22 years, 3 months ago
A couple questions about AIX. Does it ship with a C++ compiler, I know it has a C compiler. How active is IBM in releasing updates? Jason Mickela ICQ : 873518 E-Mail: jmickela@sbcglobal.net -Making "alot" a real word one paragraph at a time.-
-Can''t sleep, clown''ll eat me, can''t sleep, clown''ll eat me.
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
Advertisement
AFAICT, yes. I''ve found references to IBMCXX 3.6.6 (formerly xlC) on RS6000s running AIX 4.3.2.01, so I assume AIX both has and ships with a C++ compiler.

I''ll keep looking for more detailed information and post a link once I find some.

Are you doing some AIX work? Very few people around here would have reason to go near it, especially given that it runs on RS6000 series workstations, servers and mainframes...

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
AIX does ship with a C compiler (''cc'' the extended C compiler). I don''t remember whether xlc or c89 ship with it. I don''t even know if the c89 has been updated. It can''t be worse than HP''s compiler on HP-UX anyway.

As for updates, don''t count on them. IBM is replacing AIX with Linux (RedHat Enterprise, IIRC). I''m not sure how long they''ll support AIX from now.
Oops. Will teach me to read twice before replying.

I''m not sure the C++ compiler ships with AIX (I guess this varies with the version anyway). You can install GCC on AIX though.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
As for updates, don''t count on them. IBM is replacing AIX with Linux (RedHat Enterprise, IIRC). I''m not sure how long they''ll support AIX from now.

That''s not exactly how I''ve heard it. AIX is an industrial UNIX platform; it''s the first to feature 64-bit Java technology and is the basis of the new collaboration UNIX between IBM, Sun, HP and a few other large-scale vendors (I think it was called Morpheus or M-something).

Linux runs as a guest OS under AIX, especially on RS6000 machines (I mean, RS6000s come with AIX for free). Besides, AIX5L was just released fairly recently.

See AIX'' Linux Affinity.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
That''s not exactly how I''ve heard it. AIX is an industrial UNIX platform; it''s the first to feature 64-bit Java technology and is the basis of the new collaboration UNIX between IBM, Sun, HP and a few other large-scale vendors (I think it was called Morpheus or M-something).

Linux runs as a guest OS under AIX, especially on RS6000 machines (I mean, RS6000s come with AIX for free). Besides, AIX5L was just released fairly recently.

See <a href="http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/aix/overview/linux.html">AIX'' Linux Affinity</a>.

I knew that, but it''s not what I was talking about..

I searched google for the reference article but, of course, couldn''t find it.

<A HREF="http://osonline.org/linux/index.phtml?storyID=957">osonline</A> has a post about it, like BSD Today, Linuxfreak, etc. They all link to the same article on the IBM website, but it just leads to the main articles repository. Therefore I can''t really back up my "claim".

Note than I''m not saying that IBM will stop supporting AIX tomorrow, but the main money-maker of IBM isn''t AIX. Hardware is, and then probably server solutions (Domino, clustering, etc). AIX , like any OS developed by a hardware maker, costs money. That''s the main reason why IBM and SGI are now proposing Linux based servers/workstations.

Well, you''ll see a (very) short quote of the article on osonline (just saying "We are happy and comfortable with the idea that Linux can become the successor not just for AIX but for all Unix operating systems". This is sadly all I can provide...
I seriously doubt IBM would replace AIX with Linux any time soon, it just doesn''t scale well enough...
and as far as the successor of all Unix(tm) systems, don''t hold your breath, Linux will probably never be as good as say, Tru64, at clustering and multi-cpu systems...

/Mikael Jacobson

Ps.
AIX ain''t much of a Unix(tm), but it''s a mighty fine OS
quote:Original post by mikael_j
I seriously doubt IBM would replace AIX with Linux any time soon, it just doesn''t scale well enough...
and as far as the successor of all Unix(tm) systems, don''t hold your breath, Linux will probably never be as good as say, Tru64, at clustering and multi-cpu systems...

/Mikael Jacobson

Ps.
AIX ain''t much of a Unix(tm), but it''s a mighty fine OS

Eh, my job''s all about HP-UX and Tru64. I alas never had the chance to touch AIX yet.

As for Linux replacing AIX or any Unix in existence, I didn''t say that: IBM did . Though I''d like to see an open system replace closed ones, just because it''s open.

Scalability isn''t really a concern, since you''ve got the right to apply whatever patch to the kernel (eg IBM patching Linux to make it able to handle 100+ SMP). Even Cray is using Linux (though not replacing UNICOS, AFAIK).

I''m not saying you''re wrong though. Linux isn''t ready to take over the whole Unix market yet, that''s a fact. But as more companies seem to find interest in Linux, I think it will slowly go that way and eventually merge with and benefit from a lot of other systems.

Anyway, just my 0.02$
I always thought IBM talking about Linux replacing AIX when it had matured was almost kind of a joke...

/Mikael Jacobson
(btw I''m not much of a fan of Linux *waves DEC banner*)
I have never had any experience with AIX. HP-UX on the other hand, I have used in my first computer engineering class(I am an undergrade freshman). I did a design of a 4 Bit adder using VLSI software running on HP-UX. Anyway, griffenjam, do you work with an RS/6000. Like most proprietry UNIX workstations, those babies are expensive. An RS/6000 44P Model 170 starts at $11,000, and a Model 270 starts at $47,000. Ouch. Anyway, what type of work do you do on AIX? Personally, when it comes to UNIX, I have done the most work on Sun Ultra 10''s running Solaris 8.

Edem Attiogbe
Edem Attiogbe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement