4d engine.

Started by
24 comments, last by Vlion 22 years, 4 months ago
Hi ! I`ve decided I want to work on a very elementry 4d engine. 4d ? Yeah...I`d like to see what I can put together in 4 dimensions. Anyway. What will be happening is the actual points will be held in 4d representation, operated on(transformation,translated, rotated), then projected to a 3d represenation, which will be sent to into OpenGL`s 3D operations. Basically, what will happen is the 4D components will be a software layer over OpenGL. I`ve found 3d rotation matrixes on GameDev, which some work I know I can apply to 4d. I know that translation is a snap- just say add to translating ! Transformation is scalar*point. But I dont know what a projection matrix looks like ! I know the equations for projection(I actually figured a slightly erroneous set out by myself one day ) I`d do the same for 4D, but fact is, I have no clue how a point moving in 4D is suppoed to look. So I can`t visually refine it really. No, I dont have the code down yet, I`m stilll doing someother stuff- (finals next week). But I think a 4D engine would be cool. So does anyone know the projction matrix for 3d to 2d ? I came, I saw, I got programmers block. ~V''''lion
~V'lionBugle4d
Advertisement
Are you talking about plucker coordinates or quaternions? Why would you want to make a more complex layer over something that already works great?

"You are too useless. And now I must beat you." - English subtitle in a Honk Kong Movie.
Vlion, I think you''ll get more usefull replies on the subject in the Math & Physics forum. There are several 4D discussions going on there already.
Dirk =[Scarab]= Gerrits
Gosh AP, that was a very mature and thoughtful reply. Its little moments like that that make me glad to be part of such an enlightened and intelligent community. I shall follow your obviously powerful debating and argumentitive skills with interest.

RM.

Tron Software

-=Kicking Butt and Writing Code=-
I really can''t imagine what u want creating a new dimension. So, it''s like to add on every point on x,y,z space a new "depth". But u will still have to map it on 2 dimensions of screen. The visual effect will be strange and unpleasant and will be VERY hard and slow to render.
Time may be another dimension, but the number is pretty arbitrary. It''s obvious that the original poster is talking about a spatial dimension.

BTW, you can even see time as a spatial dimension. We''re not able to move along it at will, but then, we''re not capable of moving along any dimensions except the first 2 at will...
Kippesoep
Think of it this way... a point moving in 4d could be anything, there in fact MANY MANY MANY DIMENSION! did you kno a 2d scroller is acually 3d (X Coords + Y Coords + Time\(Animation)) so an easy represation could be something like a point with a ghosting effect. Think about it... itz ture! Let put it this way...

"Be happy with the fucking 4d we live with" - ME

Wow, you seem to have great luck getting intelligent replies. Anyway, to project from 3D to 2D you generally project the point to a plane (usually z-1=0), so I think that should work with 4D too - project the 4D coordinates to a 3D plane by clipping one side of the plane and scaling the x,y and z by the distance from the plane to the w (or however you want to call it), then do your normal camera transform. I think this is what pov-ray does with its fractal objects.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
"Just to let you know, there are two different definitions of the 4th dimention. One is time, and the other is the demension beyond 3d."

It all depends on your metric tensor, which could very well be user-defined.

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
quote:Original post by Vlion
I`ve found 3d rotation matrixes on GameDev, which some work I know I can apply to 4d. I know that translation is a snap- just say add to translating !
Transformation is scalar*point.

But I dont know what a projection matrix looks like !
I know the equations for projection(I actually figured a slightly erroneous set out by myself one day )

I`d do the same for 4D, but fact is, I have no clue how a point moving in 4D is suppoed to look.
So I can`t visually refine it really.
No, I dont have the code down yet, I`m stilll doing someother stuff- (finals next week).
But I think a 4D engine would be cool.

So does anyone know the projction matrix for 3d to 2d ?

I came, I saw, I got programmers block.
~V'lion

I think you should probably read a bit more about 4D before going into creating something of a 4D engine. Although, that would be pointless since all of our computer screens can only display 2D...

"And that's the bottom line cause I said so!"

** I WANT TO BE THE MODERATOR FOR THE LINUX FORUM **

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP's Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com

Edited by - cyberdrek on December 14, 2001 3:26:37 PM
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement