Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok I will quit for tonight after this one..DX7 or DX8??please read

This topic is 5838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok I was wondering should I stay with DX7 or go to DX8? I have bookson both versions and I haven''t been able to decipher either heh...so I was just wondering if it would be best to put the past behind me and go with DX8 or stay with Direct Draw err.. I mean DX7?? Thanks and like I said, I will let someone else post now

Guest Anonymous Poster
Why would anyone want to use older version if newer is available
If DX8 shows direction you''ll better go that way. You can''t newer stay DX7.

eng3d: Your point is academic.

D3D8 provides direct access to the 3d hardware, with which you
can just draw a texture-mapped primitive to represent your 2d
object. Why bother with blending, blitting, copyrect operations
when the hardware does all that for free??

just my 2 cents..

DX8 seems useless:
1. My ATI 3DRage Pro doesn''t get enumerated
2. It''s got far more crap in it that you''ll never use anyway
3. Why have support for what not when you know you''ll only need a tiny bit of it? I think that you should always use
the least possible if it provides what you are looking for in a descent manner.
4. Too much overflow is never good. In speed, and sanity.
5. And finally VERSION NUMBERS DON''T COUNT. STUFF IS OF THE ESSENCE!

If you can decipher thus far I would like to add that people who just look at numbers are numb. Don''t bee fooled.

And most importantly: Get a pen - get a life.

I agree with the last point. But also all the new features (ie rotation) add a new headache of checking for collisions, drawing order. For proper 2D I ALWAYS use DirectDraw (7). For 3D I find it very hard to beat Direct3D (8).

Neil

Thanks for all your input! I appreciate everyone''s advice and I have decided to go with direct draw for now. Maybe after alot of 2d work I will move to D3D. Thanks again

Guest Anonymous Poster
i am taiwanese, so my english no good, i use DirectX 7.0

because i have no 3D accelerator Card, so
i try DirectX 8.0 is very slow.....

so i back to use DirectX 7.0, i only used 2d DirectDraw, is fast.

Most of the stuff I do now with graphics is 2d so I use DX7. Basically I use the tools I''ve got and don''t worry so much about getting something new unless I really want to use it.
If I got DX8 the very day it came out, I think they''d have released DX9 the next day.

"A man can''t just sit around." ''Lawn Chair'' Larry Walters (1982)

Guest Anonymous Poster

i can''t play empire earth.

No, i wouldn''t reccommend dx7 at all. You won''t learn much from it. For one, it has no future. Future versions of dx will definetly be more like 8 than 7 so why bother something that will never get better? Also, people that say dx7 is better are called techno-retro freaks. They don''t want to move to the newer and better technology because they are used to their own. It doesn''t mean its easier or harder to do eaither but just that the latter is newer. A good example of techno-retro freaks are when windows95 came out and people still wanted to use dos programs. Directx7 is just as easy or hard as dx8. Plus in dx8, you can just create a billlboard class and load you bitmaps and do stuff with them just like 7 but now you can do it faster and with moer capabilities. I bet lighting wasn''t as easy as dx8. You prob had to lock the surface and change the values and then unlock the surface. Its so much easier in dx8 also you can rotate your bitmaps a lot easier. It was sooo hard and unfast with dx7. Dx8 is definitly the way to go. Don''t become another techno-retro freak

G''day!

There are reasons for using DX7. One of the biggest and best is to target old hardware. Puzzle games (for example) are very popular and can make good money as shareware. Most of those registrations will come from people with older gear, if you alienate them, you lose a lot of sales potential.

Many of us aren''t in this hobby to make a living, but not many of us would mind if we could make some money at it. Not too mention, if you''re releasing your game for free for people to enjoy, don''t you want the largest number of people to be able to play it?

It all depends on your market. Some big name people in the games industry are pulling back and supporting older DX5-type video cards, because there are a lot out there, and no one else is targetting them.

If you want to make the next Max Payne, the above arguements obviously don''t apply.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena

Guest Anonymous Poster

ya, empire earth lose player, is me.

if many peopel have no 3D accelerator Card,
empire earth is lose many player.