good directx/direct3d 8 book?

Started by
11 comments, last by tobymurray 22 years, 4 months ago
g''day all, I''m after a good direct X or even just Direct 3D version 8 book? I''ve been looking around and can only seem to find books on DX7 - is the version 7 stuff still applicable to version 8 or should I make sure i get a version 8 book? Also for any fellow Aussies - is there a good technical bookshop in South Aust. that anyone knows about? Finally does anyone know when DX9 is coming out - should I just wait and learn version 9 when it comes out? thanks Toby
Advertisement
1. Rich Thomson has a book coming out: http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/

2. pass

3. Autumn/Winter 2002 is looking the likely time for DX9 release (the beta testing hasn''t even started yet [applications have, the testing programme hasn''t]).

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

how about any books that are out now on direct3d 8?
quote:Original post by tobymurray
how about any books that are out now on direct3d 8?

G''day!

I strongly recommend against buying The Zen of Direct3D Game Programming (Prima).

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Why do you recommend agaisn''t buying it ken?

Eric Wright o0Programmer0o

NeXe

My Homepage
Eric Wright o0Programmer0o
Jim Adams book looks interesting. I have ordered mine and it''s out next month (in UK at least)

http://home.att.net/~rpgbook/#contents

It looks like it covers everything most people should need (input/sound and 3D) for the first bit it looks like it covers the usual DirectX setup, then messhes and (Hold breath for this one) Skinned Meshes(and may even be readable), etc.

Then covers more specifics about RPG games (which would be at least interesting as they normally seem more complex in structure than FPS''s and Tomb raider clones).

Anyone would think I was excited about a book (that would be sad) but I cant wait forit t come out.......

Neil
WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
I had a quick look at the Zen of Direct3D whatever today and it doesn''t actually seem to have much 3D info it it. There is some but not enough to justify the cost.

Just my 2 cents
/* Ignorance is bliss, then you go and spoil it by learning stuff */
G''day!

Well, the simplest reason is as zipless says, for a book on D3D there isn''t but D3D in it. 3D math and vectors are introduced more than 400 pages into the book.

As I said in the last thread on this:
If you don''t count the appendices, I''m half way through the book and vertices haven''t even been introduced. Sprite and Font engines implimented using CopyRects, LoadSurface, and manual pixel twiddling? Ewww. So far it''s a detailed manual on how to do all the things the DirectX team tells you never to do.

I think newbies will be frustrated by being shown a method of doing something and then repeatedly being told ''But you would never want to do it that way'', and then have to wait until the end of the book to find a way that doesn''t completely suck.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Something to keep in mind:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931841276/qid=1008452969/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1_1/104-9061602-6839917

The focus will be on explaining more complex topics in a way that "normal people" can understand. It has a heavy focus on shaders and techniques like shadows, skinning, etc.

Supposedly, some of the ideas for subject matter are based on questions asked in this forum.
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
is that last book mentioned ( the amazon link ) a VB or C++ book?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement