What C++ compiler?

Started by
18 comments, last by nws_mrman 22 years, 4 months ago
Could someone tell me how or where to get a c++ compiler (preferably a free download). I have looked around on the web and found Dev C++ or Borland C++, is there an important difference? Which is the best? Are there any others? Thanks for any help.
[I wouldn't bother going to my website yet]

Advertisement
There is no best. Dev C++ uses the MinGW32 port of the Win32 API with a Win32 port of GCC (GCC is the #1 compiler for Unixes). The IDE and MinGW32 have a couple bugs, but the compiler is solid. Borland''s a good compiler (better or worse than GCC? That''s debatable ), but the free version comes without an IDE (not a big deal, you can get one elsewhere). There really is no ''best'' compiler, try both (and other ones if you find some) and decide on your own. There both free, what are you lossing?

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
I used the free Borland C++ command-line compiler, and turbo debugger along with JFE as my IDE/editor. Seems to work out pretty good for a free alternative.

I''d recommend the original poster giving that free combination of tools a try. Everyone has their preferences, but this has been about the best environment for me so far. The thing I like about JFE is it seems to have just the features for an IDE that I like. Not overdone, but customizable where I like.

If nothing else, it seems like a good starting point and will help you get a find out what it is more that you''re looking for.
For Linux, use either Dev-C++ or Borland C++.
For Windows, MS Visual Studio 6.0 2Win!

B4 i get flamed, MS visual studio really is the best package to get for windows, and if you are a bit clever, it can compile for Linux too.

(I may write an article soon on how to force MSVC6 to use the CygWin or MinGW commandline compilers...)

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
i use the borland free command-line tools compiler, with the VIDE IDE...
i love VIDE because it is very simple and doesn''t have too much crap (as MS and borland IDEs do) to get between me and typing out code.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
quote:Original post by krez
i love VIDE because it is very simple and doesn''t have too much crap (as MS and borland IDEs do) to get between me and typing out code.

We all have our ways of rationalizing....

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
krez: why not just use "edit.com".

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
to Arild Fines:
what exactly am i supposed to be rationalizing? or perhaps saying that i am rationalizing is your way of rationalizing... do you hate me because i like the console?

to jenova:
two reasons. (1) it handles my makefile for me (2) MDI, i can have my header files on the screen next to my source files...

i learned c++ through a telnet window to a unix system... there is no need for bells and whistles.

wow, i never expected to be called out on that ...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Bells and whistles rule!

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
IDEs: I''ve used Borland Builder, MSVS, DJGPP, Dev-C++, ...
Compilers: I''ve used GPP, CL (MSVC), Mingw32, ...

I''ve seen it all, and, for me, the best is Dev-C++

*watches all the jaws drop*

Dev-C++ is the most stable, easy-to-use, free(est?), fastest IDE there is. MSVC is huge, slower, less stable, and so function-laden it doesn''t know what to do with itself. Borland just sucks. For newbies (and most anyone else), I recommend Dev-C++.

Later,
ZE.

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement