Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iamwil

tiling terrain vs stretched bitmap terrain

iamwil    128
Which is better in computational expense and in flexibility: a tiling terrain or a stretched bitmap terrain? Originally, I wanted an isometric engine for a 3rd person perspective action game. Then since I wanted height in the terrain, I just used Direct3D to render the terrain. So now, I''m stuck at which way to go with the texturing.(tiling terrain or stretched bitmap?) The pluses and minuses that I thought of For a tiling terrain: + Can swap in and out tiles at runtime to change the terrain. + Easier to make maps with a map editor(and easier to write map editor) - Have to have multiple render passes for each tile of a particular texture. More types of files visible = more passes = lower fps. - Not very natural looking terrain, or if you use lots of different tiles to make more natural looking terrain, it takes up more memory. For a stretched bitmap terrain: + Can render entire visible terrain as one big triangle list. Only one pass is necessary(given multitexturing exists) = higher fps. + Can achieve more natural borders between terrain types(sand to water, sand to grass) - Static terrains, unless terrain consists of multiple layers of terrains with alpha channels(also assumes multitexturing is available) - Harder to make maps(you''re drawing a more natural terrain instead of just putting tiles together) I''m leaning towards stretched bitmap method...Can anyone else give a reason not to do that, or think of more advantages or disadvantages of either? Better yet, is there another better way to texture terrain that''s fast and flexible?

GalaxyQuest    122
1. Try them both and see which looks better

2. Most api''s(dx/ogl) allow for multi-texturing at little expense.

3. How big are these "area''s" and how will they be connected? Is it continous or are there "zones" like in everquest?

4. Tiling is used by most/all terrain renders, since the landscape is so large. "Cracks" in your terrain also are a problem, so you need to understand how to fix this in tiling terrain.

5. Seach flipcode, vterrain.org, and search google for "terrain texturing", "tiling terrain", "texturing caching"...

6. here *1* link to start you off:
http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1/tiling_textures.html

Merry xmas.