Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Triangle Culling Orders...

This topic is 5839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, In D3D (and OpenGL I do believe), it''l cull triangles that are either clockwise, or counter-clockwise... How do I tell if a triangle is wound CW or CCW? say I have 3 vertices, v0:v1:v2... I know how to do it on paper (to a certain extent!), but I need to do this mathematically/algorithmically... Such that Triangle Goes in -> Tested -> Corrected if necessary -> triangle goes out I know I read the formula on some massive graphics FAQ (but I lost it/cant find it) ages ago... and all my searches haven''t come up with anything useful (Except for a wind up triangle kids toy!!) Can anyone quote the formula/explain/point me in the right direction?? many thanks in advance. Jack;

Here''s a very brief description:

Triangle is described by 3 points, P1, P2, and P3.

1) project triangle points onto the image plane (no need to do the viewport transformations, just the camera/view transformations). Once transformed, P1, P2, and P3 will all have the same Z coordinate value.

2) Take the cross product N = (P2-P1) x (P3-P1). Look at the sign of the Z coordinate of N. If the Z coordinate is positive, the triangle is counterclockwise. If the Z coordinate is negative, the triangle is clockwise. (This assumes the OpenGL convention where positive Z is facing towards the camera.)

There are other ways to do this without the cross product, e.g., using logic to figure out which points are the left and right-most points in image plane space, then seeing whether the remaining point is below or above those two points. A purely logical decision rather than a mathematical decision. But the cross product method is nice and clean.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.