I Challenge You Too!

Started by
43 comments, last by bishop_pass 22 years, 3 months ago
quote:Original post by krez
well, you can''t expect me to just drop it when you are intent on making me look bad (i.e. claiming i just can''t possibly understand, calling me "naive", "kid", "snot", and "brat", et cetera).

You think I make you look bad? Had you never opend up with your inital hen pecking attitude, I would have never had the opportunity to make you look bad.

I don''t enter your threads and act like you do.
Advertisement
Good lord, will these useless arguements never end?! To summarize whats happening without having to actually read every single post:

bishop_pass "Can help you find places that can stir the imagination and give insights in certain ways only living the experience can"

krez "disagrees that bishop_pass can do this" or "doesn''t like bishop_pass''s way of offering this opportunity" or "doesn''t think bishop_pass is worthy to be Gandalf''s equal" or "etc, etc, etc"

Neither will end it and I see no way that this thread can further the interests of the Game Writing forum. No offense to either of you but, I move that the mod close this thread before it gets violent. Let us move on to topics that will further the interests of game writers everywhere.
quote:Original post by TechnoHydra
bishop_pass "Can help you find places that can stir the imagination and give insights in certain ways only living the experience can"

krez "disagrees that bishop_pass can do this" or "doesn''t like bishop_pass''s way of offering this opportunity" or "doesn''t think bishop_pass is worthy to be Gandalf''s equal" or "etc, etc, etc"

Never have more true words been spoken.

This thread has definitely gotten carried away.

A definition of pontificate: to think, possibly profoundly, usually aloud. This is a public forum and I as moderator, as well as gamedev''s general policies, grant everyone the ''right to pontificate'' in this forum as long as it''s related to writing. In this case I believe the relevant idea was "Going on an expedition into the wilderness or up a mountain may put you as a writer in a better position to write about adventurers who do just this." With the secondary point that "Dramatic landscapes can trigger personal epiphanies." Two rather ordinary ideas that don''t seem to me to be very controversial at all. So how did we get a flame war going here? I see this as primarily an argument about writing style, and as such actually still relevant to this forum.

The issue seems to be purpleness of prose, as far as I can tell. I personally don''t think elaborate prose that requires decoding is a useful style in which to write non-fiction, but I also don''t think writing that way is a crime. In fiction, on the other hand there are definite uses for purpleness, as well as places where it does more harm than good. Those of us interested in being writers need to realize that any writing style or other stylistic device can be useful if we know when and where to use it. Those of us not interested in being writers but still interested in being a member of this discourse community need to realize that writing style can be just as annoying as typing in all caps, or using html to make your whole message bold, or having a huge sig.

So, if anyone has anything related to writing to say, say it. But let''s leave the personal attacks and ad hominem arguments out of it from now on, please.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

ok, ok, sorry...
bishop_pass: i''ll chalk it up to a difference of opinion and leave you alone. sorry for carrying on like that (i get like that sometimes).

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement