I Challenge You Too!

Started by
43 comments, last by bishop_pass 22 years, 3 months ago
quote:Original post by bishop_pass
In response to krez:
Pity... A two hour movie might provide two hours of enjoyment and some good conversation and maybe a little inspiration. A twenty hour trip with bishop_pass is a journey of self discovery and adventure providing memories which will shine like a beacon amongst the ordinary for the rest of your life...

i can barely stand reading your pompous garbage on gamedev.net! how could a twenty hour trip with someone who refers to himself in the third person possibly be better than a complete bastardization of one of the best books ever written?
quote:Original post by Drizzt DoUrden
Forget the movie! If you go with bishop_pass, you will live the movie.

heh heh sure...
quote:Drizzt is a little more in tune with the potentials...

so were those guys who followed the prophet to argentina, just to drink poisoned cool-aid...
quote:Hallucinogenic drugs are infusions into your body. Adventures are infusions of your body and mind into the unknown...

you''ve apparently never got the good stuff...
quote:Experience is the real thing. And stepping out to the limits is where you really discover how things play out.

see, now that is exactly the problem with you. i suppose it is completely possible that you have some talent at stepping "out of the limits", and even bringing others with you, but to me it just sounds like you are talking smack (albeit in a fairly poetical [vague] way). really, where could you possibly take someone that would make them "come back a changed person with new insights which will fire [thier] imagination, lead [them] on a new road to self discovery, and expand [their] mind into a zone of higher awareness"? the only place i can think of is your delusional fantasy world where it is more important to impress with your words than actually mean anything by them.
quote:I promise that my field trips are a little less academic and a lot more evocative of a serious displacement in time or space.

i suspect this is only because there is nothing academic involved with making things up.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Advertisement
quote:Original post by krez
i can barely stand reading your pompous garbage on gamedev.net! how could a twenty hour trip with someone who refers to himself in the third person possibly be better than a complete bastardization of one of the best books ever written?

Go easy there tiger. We're all just having a little fun. I suspect you are in serious need of one of my excursions. More would happen to you in a day than any two hour movie ever could. I have a license to pontificate. Hopefully someday you will too.

see, now that is exactly the problem with you. i suppose it is completely possible that you have some talent at stepping "out of the limits"...

Metaphors. Opportunities abound to leave the everyday world behind. You are in SERIOUS need of one of my excursions.

.. really, where could you possibly take someone that would make them "come back a changed person with new insights which will fire [thier] imagination, lead [them] on a new road to self discovery, and expand [their] mind into a zone of higher awareness"?

Let's see... Participation in character building activities combined with the exploration of extraordinary places (of which I know many) which transcend time and awe the imagination do indeed heighten your senses, captivate the mind, inspire one to experience more and explore new possibilities in one's life...

the only place i can think of is your delusional fantasy world

Why can't you visualize the opportunities out there?

where it is more important to impress with your words than actually mean anything by them.

I'm not trying to impress with my words. I do mean everything with my words though.

i suspect this is only because there is nothing academic involved with making things up.

I'm making this up? That is news to me.

It's not ME that makes the excursion have the qualities it does. It is the act of doing it.

Edited by - bishop_pass on December 15, 2001 12:43:17 AM
There is nothing quite as wonderful as a good adventure. Everyone deserves to take the opportunity, now and then, to explore the world and his own place in it.

There is so much magic around us. Look at a tree. Visit the ocean by yourself, standing silently. What do you hear? Go screaming through the night with your crazy friend in search of homeless Elijah to hear his stories.

As children, everything is so fresh and new. Every day is an adventure. But what happens? People grow up. Good! But they grow old as well. They forget how to follow a treasure map. They don''t look up into the trees so often, and rarely climb them.

It is only natural that the practical necessities of modern life cause people to become creatures of habit. Certain routines are inevitable. But what a shame to lose one''s childhood completely!

Take a trip with bishop_pass, even if only in spirit. You need no guru (though it can be nice to have a lively friend accompany you.) But, like dragons, adventures have become somewhat rare these days. You owe it to yourself to find one, and to treasure it.

Jonathon
quote:"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush

"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu

Jonathon[quote]"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu America: Love it or leave it ... in the mess it's in. [/quote]
No, a day trip with bishop_pass would be a bad idea. Judging by his posts, he is obviously evil because he makes you think and challenge your perceptions in such a way that you might learn something about yourself and others.
quote:Original post by Jonathon
There is nothing quite as wonderful as a good adventure. Everyone deserves to take the opportunity, now and then, to explore the world and his own place in it.

There is so much magic around us. Look at a tree. Visit the ocean by yourself, standing silently. What do you hear? Go screaming through the night with your crazy friend in search of homeless Elijah to hear his stories.

As children, everything is so fresh and new. Every day is an adventure. But what happens? People grow up. Good! But they grow old as well. They forget how to follow a treasure map. They don''t look up into the trees so often, and rarely climb them.

It is only natural that the practical necessities of modern life cause people to become creatures of habit. Certain routines are inevitable. But what a shame to lose one''s childhood completely!

Take a trip with bishop_pass, even if only in spirit. You need no guru (though it can be nice to have a lively friend accompany you.) But, like dragons, adventures have become somewhat rare these days. You owe it to yourself to find one, and to treasure it.

Jonathon ever so eloquently echos my thoughts. His post reminds me of one of my favorites, which is actually a conjunction of two writers, both adventurers. Galen Rowell writes:

One of the shocking realizations of adult life is that most of us are not fulfilling the most closely held dreams of our youth. Instead of pursuing the dreams that were once integral parts of our personalities, we end up in one way or another fulfilling someone else''s ideas about who and what we should be, usually at the expense of our creative urges. The universal yearning to be creative is eloquently expressed in these words by Antoine de Saint-Exupery from Wind, Sand and Stars: "Nobody grasped you by the shoulder while there was still time. Now the clay of which you were shaped has dried and hardened, and naught in you will ever awaken the sleeping musician, the poet, the astronomer that possibly inhabited you from the beginning."

I have long been inspired by Galen Rowell''s work and stories. I had the opportunity to spend a morning climbing with one of his mentors, the one which introduced Rowell to climbing 45 years ago.
quote:Original post by bishop_pass
Go easy there tiger. We''re all just having a little fun. I suspect you are in serious need of one of my excursions. More would happen to you in a day than any two hour movie ever could. I have a license to pontificate. Hopefully someday you will too.

ok, ok... ima sorry if i came across as being rude... i tend to get carried away sometimes... but regardless, i am perfectly capable of taking my own excursions! nobody has a license to pontificate as far as i am concerned; you remind me of a [lousy] english teacher i had in high school, who was more interested in impressing with his language than teaching anything useful (or even making sense). it is fun to speak in such a way sometimes, but when you do it too often (or all of the time) it loses it''s charm.
quote:Metaphors. Opportunities abound to leave the everyday world behind. You are in SERIOUS need of one of my excursions.

oh, i understand metaphors... but you take it too far (into the realm of give-me-a-break-already)...
quote:Let''s see... Participation in character building activities combined with the exploration of extraordinary places (of which I know many) which transcend time and awe the imagination do indeed heighten your senses, captivate the mind, inspire one to experience more and explore new possibilities in one''s life...

while spending time with you, even in the most beautiful of all places, would definitely build my character, i''d rather not deal with the pain. there are some nice spots here in new jersey, although i must admit that none of them transcend time or any of that...
quote:Why can''t you visualize the opportunities out there?

i still don''t understand what opportunities you are talking about?! as far as i can tell, you are bragging about your ability to find a pleasant spot and ramble about how much you like metaphors.
quote:I''m not trying to impress with my words. I do mean everything with my words though.

quite vague for someone who cares so much about words... maybe it is one of my own personal shortcomings, but i don''t think something should be said dogmatically, and simply accepted because of the quality of the circumlocution involved. i will always feel this way, unless perhaps you fax me a certified copy of this "license to pontificate"?
quote:I''m making this up? That is news to me.

no, you''re not making anything up. you describe reality as perfectly as is possible. my bad.
quote:It''s not ME that makes the excursion have the qualities it does. It is the act of doing it.

heh heh you should write a book, "Self-Discovery Excursions for Dummies" for people like me...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
bishop_pass, you need to lay off the crack pipe.

Sounds like a cult in the making.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
What is it with the words? Where am I speaking with big impressive words? I may be speaking a little metaphorically, and a little over the top, but I sure as hell am not trying to impress anyone with words here.

I actually get a little bit of a kick out of the ones here who don''t get it. Those are the ones in need of it (a little adventure).

One of the reasons I avoid actually describing the specifics of my proposed excursions is because words do not qualify to relate the experience to those who have not experienced something similar. It''s not about a hike in the woods, or a trip to a national park overlook, or an excursion to climb some piece of crap crag just outside the city.

As for the crack pipe, I need no such artificial drugs to get a high.

krez,
As for my license to pontificate about these things, if you would like to compare notes and experience regarding adventure, I''ll be happy too.

As it turns out, my initial post was a genuine offer to take anyone here along on one of my excursions. Such offers are the result of truly wishing to share awesome experiences with others. I would even suffer krez''s company, as he would most benefit from one of my excursions.

Why even the anonymous poster (the poor soul) accusing me of smoking crack could probably learn a thing or three.
No offense bishop_pass but the 3 hours I spent at the theater last night watching Fellowship of the Ring was better then any 20 hour trip you could have offered to us. Kudos to the director of Lord Of The Rings, may his next two be just as enthralling.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement