what about...

Started by
14 comments, last by z-soft 22 years, 4 months ago
would you think it would look better if I rendered a huge bmp in Terragen, and set it as the walking terrain for this map?
Advertisement
Not sure what Terragen is... the only problem I see with the image above is the programmer art.

Seriously, it looks funny because the non-grass objects don''t blend in with the rest of the image. Try fixing that and it will look a lot better.
Nice! I like it, very Ultima Online, which ain''t a bad thing.

*********-.o-**********
*********-.o-**********
ok, added a background from a terragen render (didn't actually put in game yet). Now all terrain in the above pic is this.
NOTE: This pic is severly shrunk.

Edited by - z-soft on December 15, 2001 3:07:32 PM
Remember, a very important thing with art is consistency. If you have a nice backdrop with cartoony objects overlayed, it won''t look as nice as if it were all cartoony.
I agree. Even tho the art in the first picture was kinda stinky
(tho definetly better than I could do so don''t take it
personally) at least everything fit well together. Unless you
plan to make photorealistic doors and characters and stuff... I''d
stick with the original. I always maintain that a game can have
crappy graphics but as long as the gameplay is fun and
entertaining no one will care cause they enjoy playing it.

Drew Sikora
A.K.A. Gaiiden

ICQ #: 70449988
AOLIM: DarkPylat

Blade Edge Software
Staff Member, GDNet
Public Relations, Game Institute

3-time Contributing author, Game Design Methods , Charles River Media (coming GDC 2002)
Online column - Design Corner at Pixelate

IGDC - the International Game Developers Chat! [irc.safemalloc.com #igdc]
NJ IGDA Chapter - NJ developers unite!! [Chapter Home | Chapter Forum]

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Okay

1. Are you saying my graphics are crappy?

2. If you are, well, I''m only 14, and learned everything I know on this stuff from experience, because I haven''t taken one class on it, so I''ll try to do better

3. The walls need work, but I think the character looks fine, and the trees will also be re-edited (I''m starting over on the map and making new graphics databases.
All you need to do to fix your graphics is add alittle green to the bottom of the object (like the wall). If you add some green, it will show that the grass is actually growing, and not just some 2D texture you loaded to a square (even though it is, the person playing it, unless they are game developers, shouldn''t know that).

I think the interface is the only thing that isn''t that great. The rest of the game looks awsome! If it is playable, can I have a link? If not, when it is done, post it in the announcements forum. I am looking forward to seeing it.

By the way, what language and API(s) are you using? Just curious.
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
By judging from the little explorations text on the pic, it looks like he''s using a program called explorations. I think I remember it being an isometric program maker type thing. Do a search and you''ll prob find it
DO NOT WORRRY ABOUT THE ART UNTIL THE GAME LOGIC IS FINISHED!
If you concentrate more on the eye candy instead of the code... your project might as well be like the rest of the games on the shelves.

The graphics is pretty damn good for being a developer!
C''mon give positive feedback!

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement