• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

subnet_rx

OpenGL Newer OpenGL API?

This topic is 6150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have downloaded Dev-C++ and started learning OpenGL. The readme.txt in the OpenGL section says that the gl files are from Windows 95. Do I need newer versions of these files? I''m working on a NT ServPack 6 system. If so, where can I get them? I can only access the internet through a browser, so I don''t think the GLsetup.exe is going to work. subnet_rx

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by subnet_rx
Ahh, so eventhough my video drivers are OpenGL 1.3 compatible, the API is the same as was in 1.1?

In Windows, yes. If you read the OpenGL ARB notes, they have been mad at Microsoft for not updating the MCD for a while. SGI offered to write it for them, but Microsoft wants to ship their personal updated MCD with Windows (if any at all). I''m not sure, but I think SGI already wrote one for Windows. Most other OS''s have an OpenGL 1.2 (if not 1.3) implementation already. This is sore point of mine, in case you haven''t noticed .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

In Linux, is the latest MESA 4.0 compliant with the OpenGL 1.3 API?

I''m still a little confused as to the difference between using MESA vs. OpenGL. I realize that the syntax is the same, so is the difference mostly legal? I.e., I don''t need to procure a license to distribute a game?

I''m also wondering if I use certain game SDK''s such as ClanLib if it can be used with MESA. In other words, wherever I can use OpenGL I can use MESA as it is transparent to the system?

ok, the way I understand it is. The OS makes a platform available for OpenGL. In Microsoft Windows, Microsoft makes OpenGL available, in Linux, MESA makes the libraries available. Apparently, MESA keeps up with the OpenGL specification, MS does not.

subnet_rx

Guest Anonymous Poster
> I''m not sure, but I think SGI already wrote one for Windows

I already heard that several times. Does anybody know, where to get this SGI implementation ?

quote:
Original post by Dauntless

I''m still a little confused as to the difference between using MESA vs. OpenGL. I realize that the syntax is the same, so is the difference mostly legal? I.e., I don''t need to procure a license to distribute a game?

I''m also wondering if I use certain game SDK''s such as ClanLib if it can be used with MESA. In other words, wherever I can use OpenGL I can use MESA as it is transparent to the system?

Hi,

Mesa is work alike for opengl but its not opengl itself.

Regarding license you might want to look at this link.
http://www.opengl.org/developers/license/license.html

By the way games fall into the application area.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!