Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

subnet_rx

OpenGL Newer OpenGL API?

subnet_rx    158
I have downloaded Dev-C++ and started learning OpenGL. The readme.txt in the OpenGL section says that the gl files are from Windows 95. Do I need newer versions of these files? I''m working on a NT ServPack 6 system. If so, where can I get them? I can only access the internet through a browser, so I don''t think the GLsetup.exe is going to work. subnet_rx

Null and Void    1088
Microsoft hasn''t released a new OpenGL MCD for Windows in ages, so you probably have the newest. What you do probably need, however, is the newest OpenGL drivers for your video card (for NT, of course). GLsetup just automatically detects and then installs the detected video drivers anyway.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

Null and Void    1088
quote:
Original post by subnet_rx
Ahh, so eventhough my video drivers are OpenGL 1.3 compatible, the API is the same as was in 1.1?

In Windows, yes. If you read the OpenGL ARB notes, they have been mad at Microsoft for not updating the MCD for a while. SGI offered to write it for them, but Microsoft wants to ship their personal updated MCD with Windows (if any at all). I''m not sure, but I think SGI already wrote one for Windows. Most other OS''s have an OpenGL 1.2 (if not 1.3) implementation already. This is sore point of mine, in case you haven''t noticed .

Null and Void    1088
quote:
Original post by subnet_rx
so, how would you implement the 1.3 specification yourself? Or is all OpenGL games in Windows running under 1.1?

They all technically run in OpenGL 1.1, but they can call features that were standardized in 1.2/1.3 through extensions.

Dauntless    314
In Linux, is the latest MESA 4.0 compliant with the OpenGL 1.3 API?

I''m still a little confused as to the difference between using MESA vs. OpenGL. I realize that the syntax is the same, so is the difference mostly legal? I.e., I don''t need to procure a license to distribute a game?

I''m also wondering if I use certain game SDK''s such as ClanLib if it can be used with MESA. In other words, wherever I can use OpenGL I can use MESA as it is transparent to the system?

subnet_rx    158
ok, the way I understand it is. The OS makes a platform available for OpenGL. In Microsoft Windows, Microsoft makes OpenGL available, in Linux, MESA makes the libraries available. Apparently, MESA keeps up with the OpenGL specification, MS does not.

subnet_rx

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
> I''m not sure, but I think SGI already wrote one for Windows

I already heard that several times. Does anybody know, where to get this SGI implementation ?

flame_warrior    122
quote:
Original post by Dauntless

I''m still a little confused as to the difference between using MESA vs. OpenGL. I realize that the syntax is the same, so is the difference mostly legal? I.e., I don''t need to procure a license to distribute a game?

I''m also wondering if I use certain game SDK''s such as ClanLib if it can be used with MESA. In other words, wherever I can use OpenGL I can use MESA as it is transparent to the system?

Hi,

Mesa is work alike for opengl but its not opengl itself.

Regarding license you might want to look at this link.
http://www.opengl.org/developers/license/license.html

By the way games fall into the application area.

Obelix    122
Mesa is really a OpenGL implementation with a different name. You do not have to worry about any license. I think that compiling Mesa yourself so it will take advantage of hardware acceleration (DRI) can be difficult.

If your version is 1.3 do you also have software implementations of functions that your card does not support. The difference between the extensions and software core functions is speed (surprised ) and often other limitations like just smaller textures being supported. I would say you are using 1.3 but you have to get entry points for core functions the same way as for extensions.

Intel made a little library that will make using the latest version and extensions a little easier special on Windows. It is available here
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/sdk.html

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
> Intel made a little library that will make using the latest version and extensions a little easier special on Windows

Intel ? You mean SGI

ANSI2000    122
Yeah like the Anon Poster said... Every body mentions that SGI has made there own OGL 1.3 libs is this true and where can you get them?

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Hmm, isn''t that funny, everybody always talks about those ''newer SGI libs'', but no one seems to have them or be able to point to a D/L location.

I''m starting to believe, that all this is nothing but a myth, used by Windows OGL programmers to justify their lack of recent OGL support when talking to Linux/Irix/Mac/Solaris users.
aka:

Linux_User: ''Hey, look, I''ve a nice OGL app. Do you want the source ?''
Windows_User: ''Sure, it looks good, and with minor modifications, I''ll compile it under MSVC++ !''
Linux_User: ''No, you won''t. It uses recent technology. OGL 1.3. You Windows users only have access to the obsolete 1.1 version due to Microsoft-stupidity''
Windows_User: ''Hmmm.. yeah I know,.. but.. uh.. uhm.. *cough*.. SGI is making an OGL 1.3 release !!''

gmcbay    130
I'm not aware of any SGI version of OpenGL 1.3 for Windows, but at one point SGI *did* write their own OpenGL implementation, back in the 1.1 days. It was significantly faster than Microsoft's OpenGL implementation when doing software rendering..But then A) everyone got 3D hardware, making the software rendering speed pretty meaningless (and it was still pretty slow if you did anything complex, just a lot faster than MS's software rasterizer) and B) Microsoft and SGI joined forces on Farenheit, a set of 3D APIs which were supposed to replace D3D and OpenGL, with both immediate and scene graph mode (Like the old D3DRM) APIs. Farenheit fell apart sometime a year or two ago and nothing much came of it. IIRC Microsoft did eventually release the scene graph part of Farenheit to a limited audience, but I havent heard anything about it in a long long time so I'm guessing they killed that off too.

I just did a quick google search and it looks like you can still get the SGI OpenGL SDK here:

http://www.berkelium.com/OpenGL/

Its completely unsupported though (and hasn't been supported since Windows 95, IIRC) and it has a few major known bugs that cause crashes. So all in all you don't want to use it.

If SGI does have a new 1.3 implementation, I haven't seen it. And yes, it is rather annoying that Microsoft has been dragging their feet so much on OpenGL. And its clearly all political (make OpenGL look dead on Windows to try and get more support for D3D).

Edited by - gmcbay on December 21, 2001 5:04:33 AM

Maximus    124
Umm us windows opengl coders have no problems accessing the 1.3 features.

As for the SGI libs, from what Ive heard, microsoft refuses to let them release the libs, most likely in a vain attempt to get more people using d3d.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
> Umm us windows opengl coders have no problems accessing the 1.3 features.

No, you have to do it via extensions. Not all features are accessible that way, and even worse, it isn''t compatible with legacy 1.3 code.

> As for the SGI libs, from what Ive heard, microsoft refuses to let them release the libs, most likely in a vain attempt to get more people using d3d.

Microsoft can not stop anyone releasing OpenGL libs. Especially not SGI, since they developed OpenGL, and have all the rights, patents (if there are any), and trademarks. Releasing OGL libs doesn''t involve *any* M$ source. See Mesa.

I just don''t believe that SGI has actually written 1.3 libs for Windows. It''s more likely it is a ''Windows OpenGL user justification legend''.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Ok, guys.

SGI has written only one OpenGL implementation(v 1.1) for windows in year 1995.
There doesn''t exist any implementation of v1.2 , not saying v1.3
for Windows.
All functions of v1.2, v1.3 must be querried by glGetProcAddress as extensions.
Intel(Intel, not SGI!!!) has written a library, something like GL... howewer, I forgot. Idea is that this library is querring v1.2 funtions for you.

Best wishes.

Zengar.

• Similar Content

• By pseudomarvin
      I assumed that if a shader is computationally expensive then the execution is just slower. But running the following GLSL FS instead just crashes
      void main() { float x = 0; float y = 0; int sum = 0; for (float x = 0; x < 10; x += 0.00005) { for (float y = 0; y < 10; y += 0.00005) { sum++; } } fragColor = vec4(1, 1, 1 , 1.0); } with unhandled exception in nvoglv32.dll. Are there any hard limits on the number of steps/time that a shader can take before it is shut down? I was thinking about implementing some time intensive computation in shaders where it would take on the order of seconds to compute a frame, is that possible? Thanks.
    • By Arulbabu Donbosco
      There are studios selling applications which is just copying any 3Dgraphic content and regenerating into another new window. especially for CAVE Virtual reality experience. so that the user opens REvite or CAD or any other 3D applications and opens a model. then when the user selects the rendered window the VR application copies the 3D model information from the OpenGL window. 
      I got the clue that the VR application replaces the windows opengl32.dll file. how this is possible ... how can we copy the 3d content from the current OpenGL window.
      anyone, please help me .. how to go further... to create an application like VR CAVE. 

Thanks
    • By cebugdev
      hi all,

i am trying to build an OpenGL 2D GUI system, (yeah yeah, i know i should not be re inventing the wheel, but this is for educational and some other purpose only),
      i have built GUI system before using 2D systems such as that of HTML/JS canvas, but in 2D system, i can directly match a mouse coordinates to the actual graphic coordinates with additional computation for screen size/ratio/scale ofcourse.
      now i want to port it to OpenGL, i know that to render a 2D object in OpenGL we specify coordiantes in Clip space or use the orthographic projection, now heres what i need help about.
      1. what is the right way of rendering the GUI? is it thru drawing in clip space or switching to ortho projection?
      2. from screen coordinates (top left is 0,0 nd bottom right is width height), how can i map the mouse coordinates to OpenGL 2D so that mouse events such as button click works? In consideration ofcourse to the current screen/size dimension.
      3. when let say if the screen size/dimension is different, how to handle this? in my previous javascript 2D engine using canvas, i just have my working coordinates and then just perform the bitblk or copying my working canvas to screen canvas and scale the mouse coordinates from there, in OpenGL how to work on a multiple screen sizes (more like an OpenGL ES question).
      lastly, if you guys know any books, resources, links or tutorials that handle or discuss this, i found one with marekknows opengl game engine website but its not free,
      Just let me know. Did not have any luck finding resource in google for writing our own OpenGL GUI framework.
      IF there are no any available online, just let me know, what things do i need to look into for OpenGL and i will study them one by one to make it work.
      thank you, and looking forward to positive replies.
    • By fllwr0491
      I have a few beginner questions about tesselation that I really have no clue.
      The opengl wiki doesn't seem to talk anything about the details.

What is the relationship between TCS layout out and TES layout in?
      How does the tesselator know how control points are organized?
          e.g. If TES input requests triangles, but TCS can output N vertices.
             What happens in this case?
      In this article,
      http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2120983
      the isoline example TCS out=4, but TES in=isoline.
      And gl_TessCoord is only a single one.
      So which ones are the control points?
      How are tesselator building primitives?
    • By Orella
      I've been developing a 2D Engine using SFML + ImGui.
      Here you can see an image
      The editor is rendered using ImGui and the scene window is a sf::RenderTexture where I draw the GameObjects and then is converted to ImGui::Image to render it in the editor.
      Now I need to create a 3D Engine during this year in my Bachelor Degree but using SDL2 + ImGui and I want to recreate what I did with the 2D Engine. 
      I've managed to render the editor like I did in the 2D Engine using this example that comes with ImGui. 
      3D Editor preview
      But I don't know how to create an equivalent of sf::RenderTexture in SDL2, so I can draw the 3D scene there and convert it to ImGui::Image to show it in the editor.
      If you can provide code will be better. And if you want me to provide any specific code tell me.
      Thanks!
  • Popular Now