Newer OpenGL API?

Started by
16 comments, last by subnet_rx 22 years, 4 months ago
I have downloaded Dev-C++ and started learning OpenGL. The readme.txt in the OpenGL section says that the gl files are from Windows 95. Do I need newer versions of these files? I''m working on a NT ServPack 6 system. If so, where can I get them? I can only access the internet through a browser, so I don''t think the GLsetup.exe is going to work. subnet_rx
"There are two types of languages, those that everyone complains about, and those that no one uses."Standardized C++ LibrariesGamecron PC GamingA Christian Blog
Advertisement
Microsoft hasn''t released a new OpenGL MCD for Windows in ages, so you probably have the newest. What you do probably need, however, is the newest OpenGL drivers for your video card (for NT, of course). GLsetup just automatically detects and then installs the detected video drivers anyway.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Ahh, so eventhough my video drivers are OpenGL 1.3 compatible, the API is the same as was in 1.1?
"There are two types of languages, those that everyone complains about, and those that no one uses."Standardized C++ LibrariesGamecron PC GamingA Christian Blog
quote:Original post by subnet_rx
Ahh, so eventhough my video drivers are OpenGL 1.3 compatible, the API is the same as was in 1.1?

In Windows, yes. If you read the OpenGL ARB notes, they have been mad at Microsoft for not updating the MCD for a while. SGI offered to write it for them, but Microsoft wants to ship their personal updated MCD with Windows (if any at all). I''m not sure, but I think SGI already wrote one for Windows. Most other OS''s have an OpenGL 1.2 (if not 1.3) implementation already. This is sore point of mine, in case you haven''t noticed .

so, how would you implement the 1.3 specification yourself? Or is all OpenGL games in Windows running under 1.1?
quote:Original post by subnet_rx
so, how would you implement the 1.3 specification yourself? Or is all OpenGL games in Windows running under 1.1?

They all technically run in OpenGL 1.1, but they can call features that were standardized in 1.2/1.3 through extensions.

In Linux, is the latest MESA 4.0 compliant with the OpenGL 1.3 API?

I''m still a little confused as to the difference between using MESA vs. OpenGL. I realize that the syntax is the same, so is the difference mostly legal? I.e., I don''t need to procure a license to distribute a game?

I''m also wondering if I use certain game SDK''s such as ClanLib if it can be used with MESA. In other words, wherever I can use OpenGL I can use MESA as it is transparent to the system?
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount." - General Omar Bradley
ok, the way I understand it is. The OS makes a platform available for OpenGL. In Microsoft Windows, Microsoft makes OpenGL available, in Linux, MESA makes the libraries available. Apparently, MESA keeps up with the OpenGL specification, MS does not.

subnet_rx
> I''m not sure, but I think SGI already wrote one for Windows

I already heard that several times. Does anybody know, where to get this SGI implementation ?
quote:Original post by Dauntless

I''m still a little confused as to the difference between using MESA vs. OpenGL. I realize that the syntax is the same, so is the difference mostly legal? I.e., I don''t need to procure a license to distribute a game?

I''m also wondering if I use certain game SDK''s such as ClanLib if it can be used with MESA. In other words, wherever I can use OpenGL I can use MESA as it is transparent to the system?

Hi,

Mesa is work alike for opengl but its not opengl itself.

Regarding license you might want to look at this link.
http://www.opengl.org/developers/license/license.html

By the way games fall into the application area.
Hello from my world

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement