Exciting game needs more then 8 lights.

Started by
9 comments, last by RELOAD 22 years, 4 months ago
I am more or less creating a Jedi game that is going to use high specular lighting to simulate a glowing saber but also had the idea of placing a moving light inside the hilt of the saber using attenuation to simulate the glow. How would i do this if opengl only allows for 8 lights in a scene. Maybe just use 1 light per room with high specular attributes? Please reply thank you. WHO DID YOU EXPECT...? MAYBE SATIN!!!
WHO DID YOU EXPECT...?MAYBE SATIN!!!
Advertisement
quote:Original post by RELOAD
How would i do this if opengl only allows for 8 lights in a scene. Maybe just use 1 light per room with high specular attributes?

OpenGL allows more, it''s just that your hardware isn''t required to support more. My advise is you use either:
  • A custom lighting system.
  • Only use the 8 (or less) lights closest to each object when rendering it, you''ll probably not even see the difference.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
  • Use lightmaps!!!
    yeah man. just switch off lights in the scene that wont affect the model. More than 8 lights affecting the same model looks so messy that it''s not funny
    quote:Original post by djdynamic
    Use lightmaps!!!

Lightmaps isn''t great when you need dynamic lightning... it''s good for fixed lights.

RELOAD: Maybe you should build your own light system. The system should check for distance ( if the light is too far don''t render it ), collision ( if the light is behind a wall, again don''t render ) etc... You might find it easy to link this system with an BSP system...

Just giving my 2 cents...
    Have a good day

That''s what iam gonna use in my engine.
    a good idea is to disable lights which can''t be seen in the scene (no pun intended)
    Check my reply to this post:
    http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=67332

And next time please search the forums before posting.
    its not 8 lights per scene, but 8 lights per polygon. It all depends on how you code it.
    www.EberKain.comThere it is, Television, Look Listen Kneel Pray.
    I agree projected textures if you''re trying to get the effect of many spotlights, but otherwise just use the top 8 lights.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement