Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

didilabu2

vertex arrays

I was trying to make my programs run faster when loading high polygon models by using vertex arrays. Im testing it with a model I got off of the 3ds web site, it has just under 10,000 polys and consists of 5 meshes. I have one program using vertex arrays, and one not. With both programs running at the same resolution I got these results: At 640x480 the vertex array program is about 20% faster. At 800x600 " " " " " " 10% faster. At 1024x768 both programs run at the same speed. So my question is: Why does the resolution seem to effect the vertex array program more than the other one?

I think your application must be fill-rate limited. When running at higher resolutions, a smaller proportion of the total time it takes to render a frame is spent doing transform and lighting (your vertex arrays) and more time is spent actually plotting pixels into the frame-buffer. All you need to know is that taking fill-rate away (ie. running at 640x480), your application is much quicker with VAs than it is without them.