High quality maps and RedMoon

Started by
5 comments, last by kurifu 22 years, 4 months ago
Anyone here ever play RedMoon? If not take a look at some of the screen shots at http://www.redmoon-online.com. One in specific as well: http://www.redmoon-online.com/images/screenshots/083101-011.jpg Was this done with normal diamond mapping techniques? It looks a little too high quality for that. Does anyone know how it may have been done otherwise? Gamedev''s AI Auto-Reply bot.
Gamedev's AI Auto-Reply bot.
Advertisement
It looks like starcraft graphics. All the graphics are pure 2d but they are rendered to look 3d. Also, notice the rocks are in clusters and not individual rocks. That will make it faster. It looks like the graphics from the game commandoes. I''m not sure but it doesn''t look iso
I am almost positive that the game is ISO.. it played it for the longest time, until they went commercial.

I thought that the terrain at first was not actually tiling do to the complex tile formats. But I sat down with the StarCraft map editor and now that I think about it, I am cerain now that it is tiled terrain. Very complex, yes, but I think I know how it was easily done.

All objects in the game do appear to be rendered. Likely pre-rendered using whatever 3d-space program they chose to use. There was a time though that tha graphics did not look that good, and that some of the buildings were not rendered. I remember when the applied the patch for the newer, and better looking buildings and objects.

Gamedev''s AI Auto-Reply bot.
it''s iso, just not using diamond tiles(i.e. starcraft style). looks like it uses wide rectangular tiles (approximately 2:1 width:height), and then a rectangular map. i could be wrong, of course. i make this statement based on the shape of the transitions from one type of terrain to another. they are blocky, and they tend to tell you what shape of tile is being used. diamond tile iso would give you angled terrain transitions.

Get off my lawn!

Guess i always thought of iso tiles as tiles in a diomand shape. Hex tiles had 6. Rect had four in a square. I never thought as iso tiles that were undiomand shaped
isometric is a view, not a particular tile shape(in fact it has nothing to do with tiles at all), although we generally think of the diamond shaped tiles when we think of iso. you can make an isometric view with any shaped tile you like, but certain tile shapes make are easier to work with for this.

Get off my lawn!

TAN: I completely agree. It looks as if the tiles are 2:1. I managed to find some realyl good screen-shots of the game which beautifully demonstrated this.

I found it confusing to figure out whether it was diamond or square since certain parts of the map are draw on angles, as they would be if it was a diamond view; however, other parts of the map are drawn square. If you look close though you can tell that it is square.

Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement