Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

subnet_rx

Going to the library tomorrow...........

Can someone tell me some books I could get to explain 3D Math in more than one or two pages? These web tutorials that teach Vector and Matrices in 10 minutes just aren''t cutting it. Is this linear algebra? Geometry? Both? I just need some reference books to go to while I''m reading my 3D programming book and I don''t figure I''ll need the newest thing out for something like this. Beginning 3D Math basically. subnet_rx

Guest Anonymous Poster
Linear algebra is sure to give you the matrix/vector thing, not quite sure what exactly Geometry encompasses though. If its a university library, be prepared to spend a good deal of time looking for the books, and even more reading them. You might try looking for books like with something of a name to the effect of "Introduction to Linear Algebra." An Introduction will probably suit your needs, unless you can actually find any on 3D math for graphics or something.

Guest Anonymous Poster
For linear algebra, if your library happens to use the library of congress shelving system, check out the area around QA 184. You should find something there.

It will be from a public library most likely. And I''ll just check them out. That''s why I was going to post here and make sure of what I need. I''m reading OpenGL programming and the math examples are just moving too fast for me. I''ve had college algebra, and that''s about it. I''m a business major, so it''s rather cryptic to me.

In my study course linear algebra and geometry of the plane and space were in a unique solution, a single book, but if you want only linear algebra look for Serge Lang''s book but there are a lot of thereoms that really aren''t so usefull for 3d i think that all those tutorials around suffice for 3d gaming, at least
study how to obtain the determinat of a matrix more than the 3rd orded , ( lagrange or Serrous methods ) , finding the inverse of a matrix and the Gaussian elimination , i think this is enough.

Linear algebra is very helpful when you started talking 3d math. I suggest taking a look at this online book:

http://www.math.miami.edu/~ec/book/

If you do not have a good grasp on Calculus, you may want to review your calculus before trying to go over everything in the online book. That book is particularly useful for 3d programmers because it covers everything a 3d programmer needs as far as linear and abstract algebra goes.

Read it like a normal book, not a textbook. try the excersizes and make sure you know at least a little bit of linear algebra before you try programming in 3d.

Look for an author named Gilbert Strang. I used his book during my years as a physic student. Take the one on Linear Algebra (there is also on on calculus and one on complexe variable I think).