What book should I get for X-mas?

Started by
8 comments, last by MindWipe 22 years, 3 months ago
I havn't got any programming book and this year I thought of getting one as an X-mas present. Now the question is: what books should I get? I want a game programming book. And I'm not a complete beginner because I have made a few games (sold one as a promo-game) and just a few days ago I released the latest version of my best made game. Check it out at: http://hemohes.4t.com I thought of ordering either Tips of the windows game programming gurus, or maybe Game programming gems(or gems 2) Which book should I get? The thing about that TOTWGPG is that it's kinda old. Which book should you recommend? And I will only get one book. So which will be overall good. And if the book is mostly about one API then let it be DirectX Thank you for reading, MindWipe "If it doesn't fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway." [EDIT] DAMN typos [/EDIT] Edited by - MindWipe on December 15, 2001 11:08:54 AM
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Advertisement

If you wrote a game ,as your website shows, in DirectX then you shouldn''t need Tricks. Gems I is great, don''t pass it up. I haven''t seen Gems II yet, but I definitely want to pick it up when I can. I suggest finding the "direction" you want to go, and checking out one of the PrimaTech books on it.

[xian]
Well, I liked tricks cuz it has lots of good techniques. I havn''t read Game programming gems might too but I i know tricks has more than just how to make stuff on the screen. I also bought iso game programming and that was good if you like iso games.
Ok... so it''s leaning towards Game Programming Gems. Any other book anyone here would recommend? I would like the basic "game tricks" ie. path finding, some form of AI, design, memory handling etc. In my games I do things in my own way and in the ng run it might not be so good.

I would also like taking a look at 3D programming, because that area is totally unfamiliar for me although I have made some simple OpenGL demos(but mostly copied the code from NeHe''s examples)

Thank you and I''m waiting for your replies?

"If it doesn''t fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway."
Please! Anyone?

Now it''s leaning towards: "Astral Dynamics" which has nothing to do with programming.

Anyone know a book that tells a little bit of everything when it comes to game programming?

/MindWipe

Tricks of the windows game programming gurus talks about everything u listed but it dosent go into 3d except on the cd it comes with but the authors sequal to this book (thats comming out january 1) does talk about 3d game programming as well. I liked the book but if u have written some games already you might want to get one of the GEM books(I want to get one of them) but then again from what you have said id suggest getting Tricks of windows game programming gurus because it teaches you the methods professionals use and from what i understand that is also something ud like to learn.
"I don''t care what you think unless it is about me"
Thanks dead_roses!!

Maybe I''ll get TOTWGPG because I need to know how professionals design their game and every little aspect of it. And for 3D I guess I should get a whole book on the topic.

Thanks you again!

/MindWipe

Still time to post recommendations

get playboy, it hasnt let me down to date

"Those who serve no purpose, have no purpose"
--------------------------------- "Those who serve no purpose, have no purpose."- SSC Oh the possibilities!!Edited By - SonShadowCat on Your Girlfriends Birthday
Also a good idea

/MindWipe

quote:
I would like the basic "game tricks" ie. path finding, some form of AI, design, memory handling etc. In my games I do things in my own way and in the ng run it might not be so good

Gems I has all of that. Very "general" in some tips, but will definitely get you moving if you are a decent programmer.
[xian]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement