Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnc82

What is resource.h?

lacsap    122
Hi there.

If you''re developing a win32 app, and you''ve made some resources like icons, menu''s, toolbars, etc, they''re saved in a .rc file.
This file contains source code for these resources. If you want to use any of these resources in your program, you MUST include resource.h, because this header files provides acces to your .rc file.

Pascal

Brannon    122
Under VC, when you add a resource file (.rc) to your project, resource.h is automatically generated by the build process. You need to #include resource.h so that you can use the identifiers to reference your resources.

.rc files should be documented in MSDN. Most of the time under VC you wont have to worry about them, as you use the GUI editor to modify your resources (which handles the .rc stuff for you). The only thing you have to worry about is creating the file in the first place.

NewDeal    134
This could be a stupid question but im asking it anyways .

My newly aquired "Win32 API programming bible" describes resource files.

I always thought these were a part of Visual studio but it seems that they are an integrate part of Windows... Or maybe they''re two different things. Enlighten me please.

Thanks.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
It''s apart of windows....if somthing is not intrigated INTO windowsm it would need a DLL or something for it to work