• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tevong

Visual Basic help needed

This topic is 6028 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I find VB incredibly boring but I''m only learning it cause I have to. Is it possible to make games using DirectX in VB? t would make it more interesting. Or make extensions of programs using C++? Anyway I''m still learning so here''s some questions: 1-How do I use the timer control to control something like the intervals between a traffic light change? I set the intervals to 1000 milliseconds then I tried select case timer.index case 0 to 10 ... case 10 to 20 ... end select but it returns an error. Couldn''t find any other properties of timer I could use. 2-How do I do word wrap in my text boxes? It sounds simple but I can''t find a wordwrap property anywhere. 3-How do I use the clipboard, so I can make a simple text editor with cut and paste command buttons? 4-Next year (when I''ll know more about VB) we have to do a major project. Any ideas of something fun I could do? Thanks.

Advertisement
Yes, it is possible to make games using DirectX in VB. i dont really know how to myself.

1. Why the hell are you using timer.index??? timer doesnt have an index unless its part of a group of controls...
just change the traffic light whenever there is a "timer_timer" event - thats how a timer works!

2. Try using "MultiLine". and there really is no Wordwrap property.

3. Use Clipboard.Whatever

4. Think of something yourself... a game in DirectX maybe?

WOW !! ! !!
try reading ur VB book
(just a little, so that u know what a control index is!)

what are u doing with the timer index?! do u plan to write a select case to handle case 1000000000 to 1000000010 ?! (not that it''d accomplish anything...)

really, read the vb book just a tad.

a Major VB Project?

although direct x is a route, i dont think it demonstrates VB understanding too well.

try making ur own text-editor (like rtf) using usercontrols and api/gdi. if you can do that, then you can probably do anything in VB.

and then, once you have your own text user control, try implimenting it in a scriptor/compiler, where you would have multicolored text, fonts, maybe even graphics like lines or boxes.

use the script generated to power some AI for a game (in direct X, of course).

if you dont get an A++, then ur teacher is expecting c++, not VB.
(you have read the class sylubus right?)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!