Questions

Started by
7 comments, last by Cameron 22 years, 4 months ago
Don''t mean to be a bother but had a few questions. Meshes and their textures: They are swapped in and out of memory in real time. Does this mean that only things on the scene take memory as opposed to the whole level? BSPs and their textures: Do all of a level''s BSPs and their textures have to be put in memory as the level is being loaded? They can''t be swapped in and out as the player travels through the level? Would this require that all of a level''s BSPs and their textures be placed in memory simultaneously? Finally, how much memory does a Geforce 2 have? Anyone happen to know or be able to estimate? How about Geforce 3? Thanks a lot
Advertisement
I think GeForce 3 has 64MB DDR(Double Data Rate) which is twice as fast as the GeForce 2''s memory, which is either 32 or 64 megs.
*********-.o-**********
Thanks alot for the reply.

About the other questions, can someone help me out? In case of meshes, they along with their textures are swapped in and out of memory as the level runs so only whats in the scene is on memory right? But what about BSPs? I''ve been told that all BSPs and their textures for a level should all be on the memory the entire time a level is running. Is this true?
PR doesn''t do any swapping of geometry during runtime. Textures are swapped between system RAM and the video automatically by DirectX, but nothing is swapped off the hard drive by PR.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
quote:Original post by ChrisE
PR doesn''t do any swapping of geometry during runtime. Textures are swapped between system RAM and the video automatically by DirectX, but nothing is swapped off the hard drive by PR.

PR doesn''t do it automatically for you but can one program that on his own? (While using the high level engine) Would one be able to program things to be taken off of memory and loaded onto memory during run-time? Or is it not at all possible when using the high level engine?

Basically, I am just trying to find out if the system RAM is supposed to hold the textures of the entire level? or is it possible that only textures on the scene are placed on memory? (by somehow programming it to swap them in and out of memory as the player travels through the level)

All of the textures have to be in system ram. The only swapping done is between the video card and system ram by DirectX.

If you don't have enough system RAM to hold all the textures it relies on Window's virtual memory to swap to the hard drive.

Edited by - ChrisE on December 18, 2001 11:29:49 AM
quote:Original post by ChrisE

If you don''t have enough system RAM to hold all the textures it relies on Window''s virtual memory to swap to the hard drive.

Would a PR user be able to write their own Virtual Memory Manager as opposed to using windows?

You could swap objects in and out of memory as needed. PR is an API like DirectX and you can do pretty much whatever you want.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement