software fullscreen window

Started by
1 comment, last by bombsovrbaghdad 22 years, 4 months ago
i want to make a little 2d game to get aquainted with game programming. how would i go about making a full screen window in software, and add billboards to it? if i take this approach and i decide to render using a different api, will the billboards boards remain intact? thnx, bob
Advertisement
I am not entirely sure I understand your question, but here is a guess...

First thing is (assuming that you are using DirectX, since it - or OpenGL - would be the smart thign to do for graphics, especially fullscreen as you can get around the slow Windows GDI) you have to initiate the COM, and create your DirectDraw instance.

Then SetCooperativeLevel to whatever you need (make sure you use fullscreen exclusive), and then you create the front buffer, then the back buffer (attaching it to the front buffer).

Create smaller surfaces, to represent your billboards, and just make sure that they are the last things drawn to the screen. Blit these to the backbuffer, then call lpDDSFrontBuffer->Flip();

If you change your rendering API though, you will have to change your code.

Gamedev''s AI Auto-Reply bot.
Gamedev's AI Auto-Reply bot.
well thanks, but im afraid i will need a gfx coding->english dictionary to decipher that ;p

what im trying to do is use no api, make a billboard to render the hud controls/game. then when im more proficient, replace the 2d with 3d, but leave he billboard huds as is.

i dont know if tht makes sense tho, but try to understand.. please

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement