Direct X and NT

Started by
7 comments, last by subnet_rx 22 years, 2 months ago
What should I do if I''m developing a OpenGL/DirectX app on a NT 4 Service Pack 6 system? I''ve tried installing DX81 and DX80 SDK and both say they aren''t compatible with NT
"There are two types of languages, those that everyone complains about, and those that no one uses."Standardized C++ LibrariesGamecron PC GamingA Christian Blog
Advertisement
NT only supports DirectX 3. Any newer interfaces won''t work. Only solution is Win2K which will do newer versions.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

quote:Original post by subnet_rx
What should I do if I''m developing a OpenGL/DirectX app on a NT 4 Service Pack 6 system? I''ve tried installing DX81 and DX80 SDK and both say they aren''t compatible with NT

Hmmm.... Direct X isn''t compatible with NT4. It''s compatible with W2K ( which is NT5.0 )... I think it''s something with NT''s COM support, not sure about that one though...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

** I WANT TO BE THE MODERATOR FOR THE LINUX FORUM **

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
[Cyberdrek | ]
Well, DX80a says it will install but some of the samples might not work. Would my apps compile and build, but not execute? I don''t intend to really run the apps on this machine, just develop.
"There are two types of languages, those that everyone complains about, and those that no one uses."Standardized C++ LibrariesGamecron PC GamingA Christian Blog
Repeat after me:

NT4 does not support versions of DirectX higher than 3.
NT4 does not support versions of DirectX higher than 3.
NT4 does not support versions of DirectX higher than 3....

Once you''ve got that, do anything else at your own risk.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
heh, ok, I get the picture. One last question. Does NT support anything higher than DirectX 3?
Anything higher? Im sure you could install Office2000 on there (its version is a tad higher than ''3'')

-----------------------
0wn 0wn 0wn your goat
gently down the pw33n
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
DirectX 6 is available now for WindowsNT 4.0...
I've played StarCraft under NT4 on my laptop back-in-the-day - and Baulder's Gate - but I forget what version of Dx they used :/

Upgrade your OS, 2k is alot nicer than NT4, well worth the update. XP isn't bad either, imo.

Oh, OpenGL is supported on all flavors of 9x and NT.

quote:Original post by Maximus
Anything higher? Im sure you could install Office2000 on there (its version is a tad higher than '3')

wth are you talking about?

Now wait a minute, on the DirectX page at Microsoft, in the FAQ it says:
quote:
Q. Is DirectX compatible with Windows NT 4.0?

A. Yes. However, the only version supported on Windows NT 4.0 is DirectX 3.0a. You must also install Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6.

But I thought Dx6 was avaiable...
ahh, I think the source of confusion is that DirectMedia 6 is available on NT4, now I gotta know...

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on January 19, 2002 10:18:25 PM
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement