html? storage?

Started by
16 comments, last by EvilCrap 22 years, 4 months ago
ACK ACK ACK!
html is not a program and shouldnt be!!! its not compiled to native code and shouldnt be!!1 read my earlier post plz!
Advertisement
Oh, I see, you want the web to be Java?

Won't happen for the same reasons I posted above. Java has its place, so does HTML. I do agree that to make HTML into what it is today, they complete ruinied it as it was designed, to the point that it's cludgy, ugly and difficult to work with.

The point of HTML wasn't to be super efficient, but to let anyone, anywhere, put up a document to the web and link them to each other. It was meant so that even my computer illiterate faimly could make a web page. HTML, when used as it was intended, isn't so ugly. It's the ever-growing push to take a web page beyond the static that causes problems.

HTML doesn't need to be replaced. Java and the scripting languages more tools to access common controls on web pages to make development easier.

R.

Edited by - Rube on December 17, 2001 11:23:58 AM
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster (Evil Crap)
i dont care about the graphics, graphics are not html, they are graphics.

Graphics are what take longest to load on a web page, next to applets. There''s actually a reason why Google''s home page is so bare...

quote:html is scripted ( and in english too), and designed to be. crappy, crappy.

You display an amazing ignorance of the design point and implementation of HTML. The HyperText Markup Language was designed to allow easy publishing and correlating to other documents on the then fledgling World Wide Web. You can find more information on HTML as well as associated technologies (CSS, DOM XML, XHTML, etc) at the World Wide Web Consortium.

quote:they could object orient and stream line html significantly more, as a new standard.

Requires a ton more bandwidth. Inefficient and stupid.

quote:html results in the ugliest, most tangled, code i have ever seen.

Liar. You haven''t seen Perl anyway.

HTML is very logically laid out and rather elegantly structured, especially when compared to the MFC source code...

quote:web pages could be written with an API, maybe like win32 api ir mfc.

Now I''m sure you''re nuts.

quote:systems and readibility are an issue?
if compilers (like scriptors) were contained withing browsers, then you could go to "view source", and read your heart out.

So you''re saying that the disabled should have to hit "view source" to get to content, in effect making them second-class citizens of the web?

quote:HOW WOULD THIS EFFECT LOW END SYSTEMS?!

More processing. More bandwidth. Higher system requirements. If you can''t see it, it''s because you don''t understand software development.

quote:Security is an issue?
how is that?!

*sigh*

I have other things to do. Someone please educate our young friend.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
I agree with Invader X

quote:web pages could be written with an API, maybe like win32 api ir mfc.

Ugh! Bad examples - the win32 api is overly broad and mfc obfuscates the underlying win32 api calls.

html is supposed to be replaced with xhtml and xml - both still text based - and then there''s an entirely new approach that blends text, script and bytecode together - Curl is an example of that.

IMO - the end of a text driven format will signal the end of the www - the network will still exist, it just won''t be recognizable - just another tv channel - same old marketing hyperbole and bs...
What a retard this guy is! HTML is a markup language that defines the logical structure of an document! It is not a programming language. I repeat, HTML defines the logical structure of an document.

HTML contains no means of transferring data or securing it. HTML itself is the subject of encryption and transfer, that is why there exists protocols such as sftp or https.

By asking these ridiculous things you represent to be totally ignorant of the web technologies or the ideas behind them, or you''re just an dimwit.
Pure HTML is great in it''s original design. Well thought out, and it fits the task nicely. However over the years with all the browser proprietary features, add ons, and lack of standards support the process of HTML development has been made a lot messier and over complicated than it needs to be.

HTML was designed to structure content - NOT define the presentation as rigidly as it currently does.

Hopefully when XML becomes more widespread this can be more so the case. Perhaps the best design would be structured XML content, which is transformed via XSLT into a new richer formating and presentation markup language that is yet to be developed for browsers that are yet to be developed. Flash can already be used this way to some extent.

Of course being XML/XSLT, the same content could also be transformed into straight HTML for legacy browser support.

HTML does have some interesting hacks for controlling the output display how you want, but it severely lacks the layout tools many graphic designers are used to in print/other media.

I pretend to work, they pretend to pay me.
"I pretend to work, they pretend to pay me."
quote:
they could object orient and stream line html

Object-orientated design is a useful in imperative languages. HTML is not an imperative language. You do not create logical code in HTML; there is no such thing as an algorithm in HTML. HTML is not a programming language, and shouldn''t be designed like one.

I''ve designed professional websites, and I admit that HTML can be frustrating to work with if you try to do complicated formatting. The reason for this is that such formatting is not what HTML was designed to do. HTML was designed as a universal format for formatted text. That''s basically it.

Nowadays, many web designers do want more power (Primarily because their clients want more "WOW"). I don''t think that an imperative language is the answer. I do think that the major browsers should adopt reliable pixel and percentage positioning controls (IE, I think, is rather reliable in this department), but that''s about it. If we could use expressions like "100%-82" for objects X and Y coordinates and the space in which those coordinates are applied (window space, table cell space, etc) then I''d be happy. That''s all I want.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
html is scripted ( and in english too), and designed to be. crappy, crappy.

That''s the beauty of HTML, plain English commands. The Average Joe could at the very least guess what each element is supposed to accomplish.

they could object orient and stream line html significantly more, as a new standard.

Object orient it?! Wha? Why would you do a thing like that? HTML is meant to describe they structure of data (not the aesthetics, that''s CSS''s job). There is absolutely no need to make it more object oriented than it already is because it can already describe content efficiently.

html results in the ugliest, most tangled, code I have ever seen.

HTML code is probably some of the most easiest to follow and understand. If you cant follow a tree, then yes, I guess it would look tangled - but then again, wouldn''t everything else?

web pages could be written with an API, maybe like win32 api ir mfc.

HTML_API_DOC page = new HTML_API_DOC;if (!page->Initialize(LONG List_of_Attributes))  return false;ELEMENT text = new ELEMENT;if (!text->Initialize(MORE Unnecessary_Attributes))  return false;text->Modify(STILL_MORE Crap);page->InsertElement(text);//... repeat until page is filled  

More to your liking?

quote:systems and readibility are an issue?
if compilers (like scriptors) were contained withing browsers, then you could go to "view source", and read your heart out.
HOW WOULD THIS EFFECT LOW END SYSTEMS?!

Security is an issue?
how is that?!
you could have a compiled set of html and still script it...
it would just have slews of less chars to process.
scripting is perfectly utterly insanly safe.

I believe this was covered

Invader X
Invader''s Realm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement