Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCRUB

Books and BSP trees (among other things)

SCRUB    122
I was thinking of trying to extend my opengl abilities and get a grasp of the game side of things with models and BSP''s. I can find code and tutorials for models , but for BSP''s I cant (can anybody point out some to me ?) because of this I looked into getting a book for BSP tree among other things and these 2 books stood out 3D Game Engine Design : A Practical Approach to Real-Time Computer Graphics (done in C++ and covers some nice topics but got some bad reviews in amazon) 3D Games, Volume 1 : Real-time Rendering and Software Technology (covers BSP and PVS which I want big time ..also collision detection and source is in C++) can anyone led to me some advice on where im heading or even more of an insight into the books themselves ? regards Karl

Vetinari    133
quote:

3D Game Engine Design : A Practical Approach to Real-Time Computer Graphics (done in C++ and covers some nice topics but got some bad reviews in amazon)

I have this one, not the other. It has 10 pages on BSP trees, pretty good information. Most of the book is pretty math intensive, but BSP's aren't, so...yeah. You may want to check them out in a bookstore or something. Oh yeah, it has nothign on PVS (a very hard problem)

Mike

Edited by - Vetinari on December 16, 2001 1:18:13 AM

SCRUB    122
yea thats exactly what the review on amazon said. The other book seems to go into PVS but not in as much detail as one review would have liked, but at least it goes into it

hmmm for topics that are so important there doesnt seem to be (that I can find) books that really explore these topics really well !!!!