Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

torquel

3D Game Math

Whats a good book to purchase that teaches you most of the 3D mathematics needed in 3d game engine design? I''ve tried to find some decent ones but I can''t seem to find one. Most "assume" that you have calc experience, or whatnot. If anyone could help I''de be most appreciative. I''m just trying to do some research on how 3D games work on the inside, rather then letting an API do it for me, but even if you are using an API you still need to know a lot about vectors, transformations, and all that.

I was going to recommend "3D Game Engine Design", by David H. Eberly, but it is rather math intensive - calc3 would be insufficent to understand all the material It does come with a CD chuck-full of source code, and discusses the algorithms needed in the book. The mathematics involved are presented in a dense form... if you don''t understand how to read the equations, it could be difficult to figure out how they relate to the text.

I actually found it in stock at Barnes & Nobles, so you could take a look at it before you think about buying it.

The key problem here, is the math involved in 3D Video Games, isn''t 3D. It''s 7D. dx,dy,dz, dxy,dyz,dzx, dt. That''s why the math is so complicated. Where-ever you can, you reduce those dimension to as few as possible to make the solutions easier - the rotation is often first to go (dxy, dyz, dzx), and you''re left with 4D problems. Collision detection between moving objects is somewhat involved.

P.S. The d means ''the change in ___''

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

"What I see is a system that _could do anything - but currently does nothing !" - Anonymous CEO