Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

penetrator

OT: passing variables from line command

Simple:

int main( int argc, char **argv )
{
for( int i = 1; i < argc; i++ )
{
// argv[i] points to the ith parameter on the command-line.

}
}

In your case, argv[0] would be "test.exe" and argv[1] would be "-video:1".

codeka.com - Just click it.

Edited by - Dean Harding on December 16, 2001 6:58:36 AM

Of course, in the example above the loop would never execute because of the simple fact that i starts out equal to argc (1) in the case outlined by penetrator.

argc is the number of command-line arguments, including the full name and path of the executable (ie, argv[0] is always the name of the application). argv[] is an array of null-terminated string (C-style) which are the various arguments passed. Since argv[] is an array of strings, you''ll need to take care to convert numeric parameters properly.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

you say:
1) argc is the number of command-line arguments, including the full name and path of the executable

and:
2) i starts out equal to argc (1) in the case outlined by penetrator.

this is a contradiction, according to 1) in penetrators case argc would be 2, but you say in 2) that it is 1!

in WinMain() use LPSTR lpCmdLine. It is a string with all the parameters w/o the "test.exe".

------------------------------
Baldur K

"It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future."
--time travel explained by Rimmer (Red Dwarf)

"If you don''t gosub a program loop, you''ll never get a subroutine."
-- Kryten (Red Dwarf)

Guest Anonymous Poster
> Of course, in the example above the loop would never execute because of the simple fact that i starts out equal to argc (1) in the case outlined by penetrator.

Yes it would In Penetrators example argc is 2. The loop will execute once.

quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Of course, in the example above the loop would never execute because of the simple fact that i starts out equal to argc (1) in the case outlined by penetrator.

The example is correct; argc is 2 because it includes the name of the executable. It starts at 1 so that it doesn''t count the executable name as the first argument. That''s usually what you want...

codeka.com - Just click it.