Raw disc reading

Started by
2 comments, last by timiscool999 22 years, 4 months ago
Does anyone know of any good articles, maybe even some good code samples, of how to read raw data off of a cd-rom? i looked under the msdn and the only thing i came up with is this link: http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q100027 but i''m not getting a whole lot outta this. and after more researching, i think that i''ve figured out that raw reading is different under Win98/se/me than it is under WinNT/2000/XP. Does anyone know this for sure, and can anyone point me to a good article or code sample? thanks!
-timiscool999"I like waffles. Especially with syrup." -me
XBox controller v2.0

click for bigger picture
Advertisement
maybe I should explain what I am aiming to do with this, just in case there is someone else out there that can point me in the right direction:

I got these two phillips CD-i games about a week ago. Now I just assumed that there was a plethora of emulators out there that would fit my purpose to play these couple of games. little did i know that there really isn''t one. there is CD-ice, but it really doesn''t work to well. so instead of spending some hard-earned cash on EBay to buy a CD-i system, i decided it would be a fun project (albeit difficult) to produce an emulator of my own making.

but the biggest problem right up front is getting the data off the CDs. instead of playing nice with the ISO 9660 standard CD rom layout, they made up their own, called something like Green Book.

I need to figure out how to get that raw data off of a disc, cause windows thinks i am a retarded monkey when i try to read the disc in Windows Explorer. does anyone know how to get the raw data off of a CD-ROM drive? if it matters i''m running Windows 2000. Thanks!
XBox controller v2.0

click for bigger picture
Look up "Hardware -> Device Input and Output" in MSDN.

That should point you in roughly the right direction. You may have to start sniffing in the DDK docs as well to get truly low level access.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Wow, EXACTLY what I was looking for! thank you very much.
XBox controller v2.0

click for bigger picture

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement