Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ByteMe95

good site I found

ByteMe95    122
This is not a promo of any sorts, I have no affiliation with this website I want to tell everyone about, I ust think it''s great. Go to www.topcoder.com, they have competitions about twice a week for PROGRAMMERS. The competitions are an hour and 15 minutes of straight coding. You get 3 problem sets of varying difficulty, and if you get a good score you actually get some $$$. I found this site a few days ago and am sooo hooked on it right now, I''m just trying to tell every programmer I know about it! And the chacnes of winning are really good, because they split all competitors into rooms of 8 per room, and top 3 coders in a room get some cash prize (division 1 is $300, $150 and $75, div 2 you get $150, $75, $25) I actually placed in 3rd in div 2 first time I competed, and im not taht great. And besides the money its a really good way to sharpen your coding skills, they have practice sessions open all the time. I never even knew anything about stl a few days ago, now im all into it. Anyway, check it out, if you think it''s interesting register. You can actually refer me by the same nick as here, ByteMe95. And then when yuo register get all your coder friends to join and have them refer you! Not to mention they have employers checking out the site for good coders all the time as well. Hope this isnt some kind of advertising breach, because its not, im just trying to make this site known to al hobby programmers out there! ByteMe95::~ByteMe95() Cerebrum Software

Cyberdrek    100
I just visited the site, it''s pretty cool...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

** I WANT TO BE THE MODERATOR FOR THE LINUX FORUM **

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

spock    217
quote:
Original post by ByteMe95
Hope this isnt some kind of advertising breach, because its not, im just trying to make this site known to al hobby programmers out there!

Apparently, only a select few are allowed to participate:

"legal resident of
All US and Canadian Citizens, excluding Quebec.
All Lawful Permanent Residents of the US (i.e., Green Card Holders).
All Legal Permanent Residents of Canada, excluding Quebec.
All Legal Permanent Residents of Australia.
All non-immigrants currently residing in the US with a valid Visa."

Still, it's an interesting idea.

Edited by - spock on December 16, 2001 12:05:05 AM

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
that''s because they don''t want to get in trouble. In most parts of the US and Canada it is easy to run contests. In a lot of other countries you risk getting in trouble if you don''t do a whole bunch of stuff. So to keep things simple they just ban the people from countries that would hassle them.

ByteMe95    122
Yeah, I didnt really realize that I guess.
Well, you can always do the practice tournaments for your own benefit I suppose, but it''s definately not as good as competing in real time with cash prizes

ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()
Cerebrum Software

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
have your mom or dad sign up but you do the programming. They send the money to your parent, you spend it. As long as it is ok with your parents you won''t get in trouble (unless they find out).

ByteMe95    122
Yeah, the only reason you would have to be 18 is to recieve the money. So, you can sign up and not recieve the money or better yet sign up as your parent and have them give you the money

Cerebrum Software

Some Guy    100
This is kinda irritating.

I go to sign up, and it asks for some demographics. I say, "Sure, I''ll give ''em what they need, but only for the money." But it asks only if you''re either a student or a professional. I''m neither. You have to choose something so I hit "student." It then asks you what school you go to and what degree you have. I go to high school. I don''t have a degree, see. So I go back and choose "professional." It then asks you how much money you''re company makes and stuff like that.

Ah well, I guess I''ll just lie. {=)

ByteMe95    122
Some Guy:
I guess the only reason you cant get by that part is because you''re not 18!! You have to be 18 to compete as it says, so you should just fill in info as if you''re one of your parents I guess.
kwizatz: When you win a competition you have to print out an affidavit and fill out a federal w-9 form (to appease the IRS I suppose)
For the first one you win you have to get the afidavit notorized (I have yet to do that, never got anything notarized before) and u have to fill in and mail them the w-9
then for every following competition you win you just have to print out the affidavit for that contest, sign it and send it. They will mail you the check

Cerebrum Software

ANSI2000    122
I signed up but not eligible, since I live in Montreal Quebec, Canada. Haha them Americains are afraid of us french canadiens, we kick there ass in programming Osti tabarnac calis...

I will just participate and see how hi of a score I can get...

ByteMe95    122
Haha,true, I heard amazing things about those canadian programmers (j/k)
The only nationality I ever really heard good things about when it comes to coding is dutch.
Anyway, has nothing to do with fear, has everything to do with government controlling money flow

Cerebrum Software

ByteMe95    122
Wow, this post is old but just wanted to:
A) Move it back up into circulation
B) Let people know that they recently added some more elligible countries, including the UK. So do cehck it out if itnerested but werent eligible before

My S(h)ite

ByteMe95    122
actually, one more note I should add.
They restructed the prize distribution and division set ups, you might want to check it out for the changes (I personally think the changes are for the better, but be your own judge)

My S(h)ite

ByteMe95    122
hehe, that is strange that everyone in canada except quebec can participate. You can always do the practice rooms for no money, just for fun? ;P
I''m sure they''ll add quebec soon enough, their goal is to incorporate the whole world at some point I think

My S(h)ite