bullet-time mode

Started by
21 comments, last by kevingpo 20 years, 10 months ago
How can I implement a server variable such as: sv_timescale - .009995 to 4. 1 is default. Speed up or slow down the game. so I could get a bullet-time mode / john woo / matrix effect???
Advertisement
server variable? Bullet-time is incompatible with multiplayer games...Sure you can slow down your timing loop (exactly how you do this depends upon how your timing loop is implemented in the first place), but that would be really annoying if the whole game slows down for every user because one guy goes into ''bullet-time''.

On a seperate note, I''m sick of Matrix-inspired stuff. Great movie, but I really wish games and other movies would stop ripping it off, its getting very tired.
i second that
ditto
word
Poster was me above. Couldn''t resist
kevinpo, dont even try to do this for a multiplayer game, it wont work. by altering the time system to allow a player to get better reaction time then humanly possible (the whole point of slowing time down, besides looking sweet of done correctly) is that all player game must stay in sync. slowing done one player means all players must be slowed down. now this could work well if it was some special item of some such in the level that slowed all the players down except for one giving him super speed (he would stay mocing the normal speed while everyone else gets slowed down, or just a specific person, its been done before though). just make sure that the effect is very temporary (no longer then 10-20 seconds) and can only be done every 2 mins or longer AFTER the effect wears off. otherwise you turn the game boring quickly.

naturally though you may just be doing this for a single player game. if so, you implment it as you said. just take the varible and use that to mulitply by all time related events. for instance if you have

pos += speed*frametime*sv_timescale;

frametime is the interpolation value based on framerate to ensure movement dont speed up by framerate increases (you should have somethgin like this setup already, but maybe in different form). the sv_timescale will drop or increase the movement scale based on time.

a better way in a fixed time step system is to simple modify how long a gametick is, thus easily affecting the whole game without sacrificing accuarcy due to timescale increasing (though unfortunate side effect is that the physics are run more often per second at high timescales (above 1.0)). they will be run less often at low timescales (less 1.0) but interpolation should keep nice smooth look to everything.

again this will only work well in a single player game like max payne (ever wonder why no multiplayer?).

just to let you know, bullet time style effect was in action movies way before matrix was conceived. so max payne did not rip of matrix, in fact many of john woo films or hardcore action flicks have slow motion gun battles in them. also food for though, matrx was definatly not the first film to use the multi camera time altering trick. some commercial in london did it first and was the inspiration for the matrix sequences.

on another note. i am sick of ppl complaing about how the wrong things being ripped off. especially when the thing they complain about is so broad it helps define a genre. naturally these ignorent ppl take an example of the most popular recent thing (ie effect) and assume that just because it was done differently with computers its all of a sudden something toatlly new and never done before (only partially right since matrix did use innovating techniques with the slomo effect when used with action sequences).
Well, there''s almost nothing that is truly original. Anything in The Matrix or any other movie can be traced back to other, earlier stuff. But you''re deluding yourself if you say that Max Payne wasn''t heavily influenced by The Matrix.

I''ve watched lots of Hong Kong movies, I realize that all the stuff in The Matrix has been seen before: wire-fu, slow-motion, "bullet time" style effects, etc, but The Matrix popularized all this stuff in the US and far too many people, both in the movie and video game biz, have been riding that for a long time and its boring as hell now.

How many action movie trailers in the past 2 years have used Matrix soundtrack music? How many action movies with obvious Matrix-inspired scenes? Hell, Charlies Angels did both, it directly used songs from The Matrix in the movie during the wire-fu scenes at the end...

Max Payne is an ok game all by itself, I have no beef with it. Deus Ex is a great game, despite some obvious Matrix influence in the character design... I don''t fault these games specifically, but taken as a whole there''s just way too much Matrix-isms in video games & movies and I''m tired of it.

quote:Original post by gmcbay
Hell, Charlies Angels did both, it directly used songs from The Matrix in the movie during the wire-fu scenes at the end...

Spoof movies don''t count. (Yes, Charlie''s Angels was a spoof movie; it never took itself too seriously and borrowed liberally from other influences. And it was fun.)

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
I agree that copying can certainly be bad.

However - As for Max Payne it''s unfair to say this. It was the first computer game and not only was it a graphical effect but a pretty important gameplay addition too.

As for the Matrix - When I was watching it I got the feeling I was watching a computer game (in the good sense), and I believe computer games certainly influenced it. So why shouldn''t games be influenced by film.

However I think we all agree blatant copying is crap (Charlie''s Angels).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement