at a loss...tetris...

Started by
5 comments, last by Samith 22 years, 4 months ago
i dont know where to start with this 2d stuff Do i just render with an orthographic view? and have everything on the same z plane? and how am i going to tell if 3 of the same boxes are touching? and, cant i just skip this stupid tetris game and make a low level RPG, or is that bad for my education? thats so much easier i think...
Advertisement
If thats too hard, try something like Tic Tac Toe or a small game like it.

After Tic Tac Toe, you will have more expierience and Tetris may be easier.

Good luck.
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Also, if you are doing 2D stuff, you should look into Simple DirectMedia Layer. (SDL Main Page) and (Cone3D).

Also, look at the tutorial in the featured article called "Setting Up Your System for SDL" first.

Post in the Cone3D forum if you have any problems.
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
My first dx8 game was pong. Its easier than tetris but still a bit of a challenge at first.
If your having trouble with tetris, why would you want to go to a more complicated game? Just keep at it. You''ll get it
what big sassy said
u doign this in gl or dx?
either way look up nehe''s or nexe''s site
they had a tutorial dunno bout nexe bout 2d stuff
Or you could develope with DirectX 7, which still has DirectDraw support. DirectDraw is easier for 2D stuff if you are just starting out. Also, if you are using a data structure to hold the field of blocks, just use the data structure for collision detection.

---
Make it work.
Make it right.
Make it fast.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement