• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vulcan

Why?

This topic is 6126 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay. I have a little dx demo set up, and I use the following call if( NULL == ( m_d3d = Direct3DCreate8( D3D_SDK_VERSION ) ) ) { return (-3); } It works just fine on my computer. However, trying to run the same application on almost any other computer yields this call failing. Why? Any ideas? -Vulcan

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
try:
if( NULL == ( m_d3d = Direct3DCreate8( D3D_SDK_VERSION ) ) )
return E_FAIL;

Guest Anonymous Poster
that last post is a heap of crap, it won''t make any difference because the problem is that the D3D object won''t create.

the DX8 sdk says:

"The D3D_SDK_VERSION identifier is passed to Direct3DCreate8 in order to ensure that an application was built against the correct header files. This value is incremented whenever a header or other change would require applications to be rebuilt. If the version does not match, Direct3DCreate8 will fail."

So what i would guess is happening is the other computers have a lower directx version than what you compiled it with.
(8.0 instead of 8.1?)

other that that theres not much info on why Create would fail, so I hope thats all. Good luck

later
Marc

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!