Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy2Stamps

Game Structure...too messy

Should a game be composed on just ONE executable? I am in a team of people that have know different things...which is kind of a bad thing. I am coder...mostly the C++ side of things, and anything that needs to be done with coding...I can do it. We have a few VB programmers who just REALLY want to make the initial interface....then, we have the graphics artists...but they only know how to do their stuff using Flash, or Director. The problem is that we would be using 3 worlds....the Interface part is not a real problem, but then having the C++ executable and the Graphic Engine executable...things get messy. I was just wondering: are we the only team doing this? Using 3 worlds? Would this cripple the speed of the game?

Think about it. Do you know how to join the 3 together? From the sounds of it, it doesn''t sound like you do. And so long as you don''t know how to do so, your game won''t work. And if it doesn''t work, it doesn''t matter how fast or slowly it runs.

I don''t mean to be patronising, but your team doesn''t really seem to know what it''s doing. You need to work out if you can get these things working together at all before you wonder how efficient it is going to be. I would say you''ll have a lot of trouble getting it all working.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

Well, I have a general idea of how to do it...(by having an "Command Line" type thing that shares GAME VALUES) YES...you right...my team has NO idea how to make a game...they just like to feel important...hehe.

I was just asking if this is AT ALL a good idea...or should I tell them to go learn OpenGL or DirectX. (I am no graphics artist).

So, what I am really TRYING to say...

-Should I rather make them learn OpenGL or DirX, and make 1 .exe

-Try to use a "Command Line" type interaction with multiple .exe
-> The actual system command line
-> Database sharing
-> 3rd Party ommunication program

-Forgetaboutit and go eat a sandwich without any .exe

quote:
-If Windows crashed in a forest...were did you plug it in?

Edited by - Buy2Stamps on December 17, 2001 10:17:53 PM

There are a couple ways to incorporate Flash directly into a project. The one I am most familiar with is the Apple QuickTime API. The QuickTime API allows you to seemlessly integrate almost any media format into your games with little difficulty, including Flash, MPEG, AVI, MP3, and MIDI. The trade-off? Your users must have QuickTime installed on their machine.

- Ghardoan